Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VeNN11 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Amoxicillin and Ortho-Cyclen taken together
    One more question! :)

I am currently on Amoxicillin cap 500 MG for a bladder infection. I am also taking birth control (Sprintec tab 0.25/0.035 generic for Ortho-Cyclen tab). When I picked up my antibiotic my pharmacist said that the Amoxicillin will interfere with my birth control for the rest of the cycle. I have taken 1 1/2 weeks of my birth control package, does the "rest of the cycle" mean until I start my next period, or until the cycle of antibiotics are done being taken? Just trying to figure out if back up protection will be needed for the rest of the month, or just until I'm finished with my antibiotics.
    Thanks for your help!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
    It will affect your birth control until your round of antibiotics is finished. Then, you should use a second form of birth control for the following month also so that the hormone levels build back up in your system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ortho Tri Cyclen or Orthos Tri Cyclen Lo? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences, and which is best to use? I'm looking for a good birth control to prevent pregnancy and to control my menstrual cramps as well as acne.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen-Lo [ 3 Answers ]

I have a prescription for Ortho Tri-Cycen-Lo, which I will begin taking when my period begins on Saturday. However, I am getting really nervous about taking it because I keep reading about all of the side effects. It was prescribed to me by a nurse practitioner, who didn't really give me any...

View more questions Search