Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Aug 7, 2008, 04:00 AM
    IS Friday - Our last full day on Earth?
    He all,

Well the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is due to be switched on in Geneva on Saturday.

The intention is to try to recreate the conditions just after the 'Big Bang'.

It is also intended or possible that it will create a micro 'Black Hole'.

Some scientists and others believe that science is taking one step too far and it is conceivable that activating this device could destroy the whole planet.

Although I believe that scientific advances are becoming too quick and breaking many laws of nature, to be honest I had not even heard of this endeavor until today. If there is so much controversy and concern about this experiment, why is it that it has not been the top news stories all over the world?

Should anyone not know about the Large Hadron Collider you can read more at:

What is the Large Hadron Collider? - Science - Digital - Virgin Media

What is the Large Hadron Collider? - Pictures - Science - Digital - Virgin Media

Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CERN - The Large Hadron Collider

Cern are responsible for this devices design and construction.

I also wonder how much all this has cost to develop and build.

I note that the words of 'Nostradamus' are being quoted too.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

For my part I must assume that the scientists know what they are doing and they have carefully weighed up the risks and benefits of such an experiment.

Let us hope that those who developed and built this accelerator are not a bunch of 'Dr Strangeloves''

I also hear echoes of the fear caused over the Millennium Bug.

Poseidon
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Hello poseidon

Is Friday our last full day on earth? NO : whatever happens we will still remain on earth!! Though earth could become a rather tiny black hole circling the sun, with all life being exterminated completely.

That stated : all prognosis say that we still can read the papers on Saturdaymorning, but your question brings one important item into focus : how far may scientists go with testing new technologies and equipment , when there is the threat that the consequences could be fatal to all life on earth?

On a lower scale you can also ask yourself how dangerous and moral is science research in laboratoria where for instance chemicals for warfare are produced, or medical research with new drugs (although with these two examples you can always stop).

The limits of science research in view of the increasing risk are indeed at least demanding a FAIR AND OPEN-TO-ALL DISCUSSION instead of the informal chat under scientists, financiers, and governments involved

;)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Well, I haven't heard of it. But, you've certainly piquéd my interest! I'm going to check it out. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of others!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Why haven't you heard of all the dangers? Because there are no real dangers. Micro black holes will evaporate in nanoseconds, if any are generated. Everythign is carefully considered. However I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I by no means am an expert but I have the tools and understanding to lookup and explain things to you if you wish.

If you want a good chuckle, watch this video:

Aug 7, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Hello Capuchin,

Thanks for the clip, very interesting to watch.

If our friends the Niburu are being allowed to come to Earth and corrupt it, I feel they won't have much to do, as it it is pretty corrupt already (Hollow laugh).

Not being a scientist either and being a complete novice in the field of astronomy and astro physics, I am always happy to read and learn more.

I believe Stephen Hawking's theory is that if a nano black hole was created it could not survive and therefore could do no damage. Lets just hope that theory is correct.

I also agree with you that if there was so much concern over the experiment due to take place on Saturday, the whole world would be talking about it and be up in arms.

I am wondering how may people have ever heard of the Hadron Collider.

Time will tell.

Poseidon
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon
    Hello Capuchin,

Thanks for the clip, very interesting to watch.

If our friends the Niburu are being allowed to come to Earth and corrupt it, I feel they won't have much to do, as it it is pretty corrupt already (Hollow laugh).

Not being a scientist either and being a complete novice in the field of astronomy and astro physics, I am always happy to read and learn more.

I believe Stephen Hawking's theory is that if a nano black hole was created it could not survive and therefore could do no damage. Lets just hope that theory is correct.

I also agree with you that if there was so much concern over the experiment due to take place on Saturday, the whole world would be talking about it and be up in arms.

I am wondering how may people have ever heard of the Hadron Collider.

Time will tell.

Poseidon
    I assure you that everyone who is qualified to make judgment on the safety of it has heard of it. It's a pretty huge thing in scientific circles. This machine could greatly boost our understanding of the natural world. It's a very exciting time.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Let's see...

Edgar Cayce's predictions... We weren't supposed to be around much longer than the beginning of the 21st century. Edgar Cayce's - Google Search Edgar Cayce's - Google Search

Yellowstone is supposed to blow up sometime... Even made the New York Times! Yellowstone National Park Blowing Up New York Times - Google Search

Mayan calendar, 2012 end of world. End of the World 2012 - Google Search

End of the world hoaxes... End of the World Hoaxes - Google Search

Fatima hoax end of the world Fatima Hoax End of the World - Google Search

Nostradamus end of the world predictions... Nostradamus End of the World Predictions - Google Search

The searches that I have links to above aren't to specific sites. But, are listed to show the hype that happens when people think that "The End is Near!"

My thought is, "if it's my time to go, it's my time to go". I'm not really going to worry about events over which I have no control.

I really do think that's it's a matter of arrogance on the part of human beings to think that so much of we do to the earth is affecting it as much as we think that it is. For example: global warming and the ozone hole? What about what the earth does in terms of her activity like volcanoes and storms of various sorts? The earth goes through shifts from time to time concerning the magnetic fields and forces as well as the weather patterns.

Since I can be such a gullible person, I don't like to here about these sort of things because I like to think that someone or even government or official organizations of any kind truly have truly got the "skinny" on the most current information. But, they really don't necessarily do!

Just my opinion...

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Hello again Capuchin,

The only way I can answer you last post is that I should certainly hope that all those who are, or have been involved in this project have made sure that all will be well and that they know exactly how the collider will work.

My comment about wondering how may people have heard about the experiment was not about them but concerning the ordinary populace, like myself.

As I assume not many of those people have heard about the project, this experiment does not worry me as far as the 'End of the world is ngh' goes.

I certainly agree that if the experiment is successful it will give us an extremely great deal more knowledge than we have now.

Poseidon

Aug 7, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Hello Clo ugh,

I agree that there are far too many predictions made of which an extremely small number ever come true.

Nostradamus's quotes can themselves be interpreted in so may different ways and to those who want to believe it is quite easy to fit his quotes into what they believe.

As far as global warming is concerned, as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

Incidentally I too can be quite gullible at times. (LoL).

Poseidon
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
    I like this version much more...

YouTube - The CERN black holeYouTube - The CERN black hole

:rolleyes:
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 8, 2008, 01:20 AM
    Cheers for pointing this thread out to me Clough!

I was saying in my other thread how I love it when Scientists do stuff like this, but don't REALLY know what's going to happen! Sure, they can guess at it, but they're not sure! Ha ha!

I'm hoping for a big black hole that will swallow up France!
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 04:18 AM
    Hey! We're still here! How about that?

Aug 14, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Hi Clough,

It certainly appears you are right. Unless of course it happened and we are all here in limbo (LoL).

Of course last Saturday was a test and the big turn on is in September sometime.

I never really doubted we would still be here but I thought my original post might stir up a bit of interest and discussion.

Poseidon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Continued here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ff-257980.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Score Impact of Pay-in-full versus Settle-in-full [ 2 Answers ]

How can I calculate credit score impact (or improvement) when I decided to "pay in full" versus the decision to "settle in full" for old outstanding credit debts? I read it is always better to PAY in full... but am curious to quantify HOW much it helps me in doing that (and considering cash is...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Thank God Its Friday! [ 1 Answers ]

The Problem With Fast Food The big problem with "fast" food is that it slows down when it hits your stomach. And it just parks there--and lets the fat have time to get off and apply for citizenship. Custom Software

View more questions Search