Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    206PGDean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 08:57 PM
    John Deere Hydro 185 won't start
    Tractor ran good last fall, parked it in heated shop, cleaned old gas out, put new battery in, and acts like it is not getting spark?:
    Jumbo1114 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 06:56 PM
    I have the same machine... and had same problem... re-did the fuel filter and fuel line and it still wouldn't start... but seemed to want to start. Discovered that the sparkplug was over-gapped at .040" - cleaned and re-set it to .030" and all was good again. Pretty simple fix.
    Hope it works for you as well.
    Jumbo1114
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 08:15 PM

Have a 175,same problem,the ignition switch was bad,too many times started for the last X years I guess.

Replaced it,all good now.

Might be it too.

KBC
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:36 AM

Hi,
    Another possible source of a problem there is a gummed up anti-afterfire solenoid. It is the cylindrical piece on the bottom of the carb with the yellow wire connected to it. Should hear or feel it "click" open when switch is in run position. Cleaning can be accomplihed with carb cleaner. I simply say this since you said you disposed of stale fuel.
    Ignitions do not usually "head South" just sitting. Kawasakis will backfire if a two piece ignition is failing, and do little or nothing on the one piece ignition. One piece unit can replace two piece unit and is preferred fix if your dealer can verify it as an opton(flywheel must not be different.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    bleeb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
    Notorious spark plug foulers. Need a new plug twice a year for mine. Is way worse with ANY stale gas in system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere 175 Hydro Lawn Mower - Won't Start or Crank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a John Deere Hydro 175 Lawn Mower riding lawn mower. Just replaced the battery about a month ago, but now the engine won't crank at all. Will start if I jump it from the car, but won't keep running. If I try to engage the blades, it poops out. Any suggestions.

John Deere 175 Hydro manual needed [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to hook up the mower deck to the lawn tractor. How do I check fluid on the transmission?

John Deere 316 dies when hydro engaged [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1986 John Deere Model 316 riding tractor. I have a problem with a safety switch somewhere that I cannot seem to locate. When I start the motor and try to engage the hydrostat or the pto, it dies. I have replaced the switch on the hydro control and cut the wires on the seat switch and...

John deere hydro 185 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a john deere 185, it will turn over and start with starting fuid and stay running if I keep hiting the carb with starting fluid, soon as I stop it shuts off, I checked fuel lines and cleaned the carb, lines are good and it is getting fuel in the retaining pool under the carb, I think it...

View more questions Search