Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PetersonRJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Well pump cycles w/o running water
    My well pump keeps cycling with out running any water. I put a new check valve on, but it still keeps cycling. What is my next step?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Your pressure tank may need more air in it... Turn the pump off, and drain the tank completely. Then close the drain and turn the pump back on to see if adding air helped... Good luck...
    PetersonRJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 7, 2008, 05:31 AM
    What type of pump do you have? Is is a jet, submersible or what?

Even more air in the tank doesn't necessarily solve the problem. There has to be a leak someplace for the water to be going. The leak could even be down in the well if you have a jet pump. Or, you could have a leak after the tank.

Adding more air doesn't cure the problem, it can just prolong the on/off cycles.
    Al
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 06:04 AM
    If the pump pumps up to pressure and shuts off only to have the pressure bleed off and kick the pump back on the first thing I would be checking is the new check valve. It's either that or a leak on the pressure side of the system. Shut the water off to the house and see if the gage falls. If it doesn't then you have a hidden leak in the house system. If it does then the fault is a bad check valve or a leak in the supply line leading to the house.
    Adding more air to the bladder tank won't help a pressure leak. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Furnace -takes 2 Or 3 Ignition Cycles before Stays Running [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,hope you can help me out.i have a goodman manufacturing forced air furnace that i believe is giving me a warning sign of a future failure.what has happened is in this order,1st one morning the thermostat showed that the furnace was on and it was'nt.turned it off and then back on at the...

Low Water Pressure when faucet is on and pump is running [ 10 Answers ]

I recently replaced a 1/2 horsepower shallow well pump with a 4 gallon pressure tank. The cut in is set at 30 psi and the cut out at 50 psi. The pressure tank is set at 28 psi. When I turn on the pump it runs and builds pressure to 50 psi and cuts out like it should. The system maintains the...

Short Furnace Running Cycles [ 7 Answers ]

My furnace only runs for 15-30 seconds at a time. It will kick off and then fire up 2 minutes later for about another 30-40 seconds. The desired temperature is maintained but the very short on and off cycles are very annoying. We were told it may be our thermostat so we installed a new one and we...

Water pump keeps running [ 3 Answers ]

The water pump to my well doesn't shut off some times. The water pump pressure switch sticks on, either because of the switch or the pressure gauge. If I tap the switch box it will click off. I have shut off the circuit breaker and loosened the nut (on the advice from a plumber). This helps for...

View more questions Search