Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsaunders28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Hipaa violation
    I had a medical provider that I saw as a result of a car accident. Initially, I had given her permission to speak with the car insurance company. But, later, in wiriting, I advised her to only deal with me directly. She has continued to speak with the insurance company, though only to check the settlement status. I also had asked her to file the visits on my health insurance which she refused/failed to do. Given that she won't file on the insurance I directed her to file on and that she is still in contact with the car insurance company is this a violation? What remedies do I have? Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
    No and none. A HIPAA violation occurs when a medical provider discusses diagnoses and treatment without the patient's permission. Since she has an interest in the settlement (i.e. getting paid) then she has a right to inquire.

I'm not sure what you mean by file the visits. Are you asking her to put in a claim through your health insurance? Why would she refuse to do that?
    jsaunders28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsaunders28
    I had a medical provider that I saw as a result of a car accident. Initially, I had given her permission to speak with the car insurance company. But, later, in wiriting, I advised her to only deal with me directly. She has continued to speak with the insurance company, though only to check the settlement status. I also had asked her to file the visits on my health insurance which she refused/failed to do. Given that she won't file on the insurance I directed her to file on and that she is still in contact with the car insurance company is this a violation? What remedies do I have? Thanks.
    The doctor is refusing to file it on my health insurance because she would get a reduced payment due to a negotiated rate with the health insurer. Mind you, this is after she told me she had filed it on my health insurance and then waited past the 180 day filing deadline to tell me it was never filed with them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Since this is an auto accident, all claims must be filed with your auto insurance, not your health insurance. They are two different entities and cover different aspects of your health.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Ok, the next question is did she agree to defer payment until the settlement? If you have such an agreement then she's within her rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law violation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and mother in law went to cvs and ingles pharmacy and without my consent or knowlage were able to get print outs of all my medications for the last year is this not a clear violation of my privacy and the hipaa laws and what can i do do i sue the pharmacys or my husband and mother in law...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is out of work due to bilateral fractured ankles he received in a car wreck. He received a call from a co-worker asking when he was coming back to work as he was working on the schedule. My husband told him he would be back when he was cleared by him Dr.. The co-worker told him their...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation? If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

View more questions Search