Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medoyle Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Compressor won't shut off
    I have an 1100 sq. ft. apartment with a 22' long hallway with 2 bedrooms on one side and a bath and 1 bedroom on the other. The living room is at one end of the hall and the kitchen at the other. I had a replacement air conditioning compressor installed a few months ago. The contractor used the existing ductwork. The thermostat is located in the middle of the hallway right over the cold air return. There are a/c ducts in all rooms but none in the hallway and the hall is very warm. I set the thermostat on 78 degrees and the house - with the exception of the hall - is comfortable but the compressor never shuts off. It can run for days. My electric bills are staggering for a small apartment. Should I look into having a/c ducts installed at each end of the hallway or is there something else I should investigate?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 02:09 PM
    22 foot is a lot of hallway with no supply, is the one return in hallway the only return you have?

Aug 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by medoyle
    I have an 1100 sq. ft. apartment with a 22' long hallway with 2 bedrooms on one side and a bath and 1 bedroom on the other. The living room is at one end of the hall and the kitchen at the other. I had a replacement air conditioning compressor installed a few months ago. The contractor used the existing ductwork. The thermostat is located in the middle of the hallway right over the cold air return. There are a/c ducts in all rooms but none in the hallway and the hall is very warm. I set the thermostat on 78 degrees and the house - with the exception of the hall - is comfortable but the compressor never shuts off. It can run for days. My electric bills are staggering for a small apartment. Should I look into having a/c ducts installed at each end of the hallway or is there something else I should investigate?
    Yes, there is only that one return.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
    had a replacement air conditioning compressor

Did they replace a compressor OR the entire outside unit?

Aug 7, 2008, 09:40 AM
    The entire outside unit was replaced.

Aug 7, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Was the indoor A/C coil that matches the outside unit installed OR did they just replace the outside unit ?

Aug 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I don't know if they did or not.

Aug 7, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Well you need to find out because that could be a big part of your problem.
    It should be listed separately on your bill.

Aug 8, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I called the people who installed the outside unit and they said that "inside is the motor on the heater and it was not required" - whatever that means - maybe you know.

Aug 8, 2008, 02:14 PM
    I believe your problem is with the inside coil that is mounted in the same area as your heater motor area.

The improper coil with a new unit will cause major problems.

No more can be done here except to advise you to call a different contractor and have them check out the problem. Keep all records of phone calls to the original contractor etc.

This could end up going to court but usually if another contractor finds a problem(like with a old improper A/C coil in the structure hooked to a new outside unit) The original contractor will make the repairs. If not let the new company fix it and take the old company to court.

Good luck.

Aug 9, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Thank you so much for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Compressor unit will not shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the problem. Lets say it is 80 degrees. I turn the central air conditioner on, set at 78 degrees. The house cools down to 78 degrees. The thermostat appears to shut the blower (from the furnace) off and acts like it everything is shut off. However, the outdoor AC unit continues to run and...

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Ac/heating indoor fan runs after compressor shut down [ 1 Answers ]

Ac compressor and indoor fan comes on OK. When compressor shuts down, approx. 60 seconds later indoor fan shuts off, this is normal. About 10 seconds later the indoor fan comes on, the compressor is off at this time.

Compressor will not cut on [ 4 Answers ]

I recently notice my lights dimming about every 5 minutes, and then noticed my cental air unit was not cooling. The outside fan runs but the compressor doesn't not. About evey few minutes it tries to kick in but can't. Any idea on my problem

Compressor [ 2 Answers ]

Hey we were out of town then came back and the ac breaker was tripped after turning on the fans run but the compressoe never kicks in we never had any problems with this unit before can some one give us some ideas were to start thanks:D

View more questions Search