Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimHL3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
    While having work done the dentist broke an existing crown.
    I just recently had a crown put on a front tooth right next to an existing crown. The new one was out a little farther the old one which made my teeth come together uneven. Since the Doctor could not add to the new one to make my bite more comfortable I suggested the doctor remove some from the old one. Well the old one broke when he was removing some porcelain. The only options he gave me was to file them both down which would look funny or have me recrown the old one. In your opinion should I be responsible for the cost of recrowning the old tooth when the reason the doctor was working on it was because the new one did not fit right?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Have you discussed it with the dentist? If you feel it is definitely his fault and he's not offering to cover it you can always write a grievance to your state or provincial dental licensing body.
    JimHL3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Hello Dr. Flossy, No I did not talk to him about it. I am interested in your opinion. I asked him to adjust the existing crown but only because the new one was out farther than the existing.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Jim,

You should at least let your dentist know that you are not happy with the result of your recent treatment. You can put it in writing (keep a copy for your records) if you'll have difficulty getting your feelings across face to face. At least give him/her the chance to make things right.

Good luck.
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Aug 23, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Seems pretty clear and simple to me.
    He broke it, he needs to fix it.
    If the purpose of filing the old one was to make the two match.
    He needs to do just that, even if it involves making a whole new "set".

Free of charge of course!!

... just my opinion

Angel
    auquamarie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
    I have had this problem before myself and it is very important to have an even bite. If you don't it could lead to serious problems such as TMJ. I would definitely go back to the dentist and let him know you are very concerned about an uneven bite and although you do not wish to be difficult for your own health you feel you must have him correct the problem. You might make sure also that when he is testing the teeth with the wax paper he does it to both sides to get it even.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 11:57 AM

Auquamarie,

I realize you are new to this but you might want to check the date of the original post. As you can see here it was August last year and I am sure Jim has solved his problem by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Infection and Pain after Crown work [ 4 Answers ]

I had root canal last month and had permanent crown done on my tooth#12 four days ago . Two days later I started having intense pain around that area and after a day the pain focus on tooth #10. I went to dentist office today and he said tooth #10 needs root canal as weel. I have never had pain in...

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

Tooth too small for a crown - dentist wants to trim down my gums [ 1 Answers ]

I'm located in South Korea and I've had a really bad tooth for a while so I decided to take advantage of the national health care and see a dentist about my tooth. I was informed that I needed a crown and "nerve treatment". From the tools that the dentist was using I recognized the files as the...

Pain after crown work [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a crown put in and I am having pain deep inside the tooth. Does anyone have an answer to what this might be?

View more questions Search