Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2008, 09:19 AM
    How does this domain work
    Hi All,

We have 1 firewall server 3 rack servers . The firewall and other 3 rack servers are

In the series 10.99.0.10 (Active Directory)10.99.0.1(Fire wall),10.99.0.11(used for

Backups and for employee use), 10.99.0.22 (other projects) and subnet masks

255.255.0.0 . My question is that 10.99.0.10 is configured with Active directory and how is

The other two server configured . I mean weather other servers that is firewall and backup

Server and Projects Server added to the domain that is AD or else will it be configured

With the same domain name to work with it . Because when the user connects to his

Profile he is able to connect to the 10.99.0.11 and 10.99.0.22 with his same domain user

Name and password but the users are created in 10.99.0.10 that is AD how does this

Process work? Kindly help me.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 6, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Oh my. So many questions and so much irrelevant information.

Active Directory is a security model. All of the IP addresses you mentioned have nothing to do with this and are merely a means of communication between the computers. They are all on the same network ID so routing to each of the servers or computers is not even required.

So, first you will need to learn some basics about Active Directory and how user security works with files, folders and shares. If you need to learn fast, then get yourself enrolled into a 5-day course on Active Directory Design and Implementation. It will be about $2500 dollars but will be worth it. It will be intensive and you will need to bring some background knowledge to the table to start with.

Getting classes scheduled is not something that you can do overnight so get some books on the subject and start learning... read, read, read, read, read and read some more.

If you do not understand anthing more that the very basics of networking, I would also obtain the course material for CompTIA's Network+ courseware and then read, read, read, read, read and read some more.

There is absolutely no way I could possibly attempt to cram years worth of learning and experience into a post such as this. But if it is direction you need, that you can get here. There are plenty of experienced individuals on this forum that can also offer suggestions for a higher paced learning such as what you need. But you will have to be the one who puts in the effort. READ, READ, READ, READ and READ SOME MORE.

Now, as far as your configuration goes, you probably have one Domain Controller for Active Directory and two Member Servers. On the server that is the AD server, go the Administration tools. Unless the additional tools have been installed on the member servers, they will not have the full compliment of Active Directory Administration Tools. Things like Active Directory Sites and Services, Active Directory Users and Computers, DHCP, DNS, Active Directory Domains and Trusts, etc. Until you understand what all of these are, DO NOT MAKE CHANGES. Read, read, read, read, read and read some more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Domain Name taken [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a company, lets call it xyz inc. Currently the domain name xyz.com (just an example), is taken by another company. The thing is, that company has no relation to my line of business. They just use the site to create those auto link sites, like cool.com. My question is, since my company...

Domain Name [ 2 Answers ]

How do I create a domain ?

Domain Name [ 3 Answers ]

There is this script running daily to send a file from one system to a PC on one domain. How do you configure the PC to receive this file? What configurations do I have to make on the PC to receive this file? I have shared a folder on a test PC but it doesn't receive the file..

Domain Name [ 1 Answers ]

If a company has the same name as my domain, can I be forced to shut it down?

View more questions Search