Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clintonp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Rusty fittings
    How do you prevent rust on the outside of steel and iron fittings?. both on the shelf and once installed? Would it make sense to coat them with mineral oil? Is there some other trick?

Thanks in advance,

Paul in East Troy WI
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clintonp
    How do you prevent rust on the outside of steel and iron fittings? ...both on the shelf and once installed? Would it make sense to coat them with mineral oil? Is there some other trick?

Thanks in advance,

Paul in East Troy WI
    Hey Paul, I'm a transplant from Beloit to Florida. Wire brush them and spray them with any kind of oil to inhibit rust. May I ask what do you have all those old galvanized fittings around for? Regards, Tom
    clintonp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 08:21 AM
    The aren't galvanized -- they're plain steel and iron.

Paul
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Moisture and humidity are the problem.

If oil won't bother the final use (Gas lines, for instance), that's an option.

You can individually bag them and place a dessicant packet with them.

You can store in a dessicator.
    brians08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
    The last answer hit the nail on the head.
    Rust can only occur with moisture. Humidity is the enemy. Sealing in plastic bags will help, even without a dessicant. For installed fittings that are exposed to humid air there's not much you can do. Pipes that rust quickly are an indicator of a moisture problem that need to be addressed.
    Vapor barrier, basement drainage, gutter downspouts too close the foundation??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusty hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Why is the hot water in my faucets coming out rusty?

Rusty water [ 2 Answers ]

We have a shallow well with a 5 gal. tank & 1 h.p. pump motor. It has a cheap add on conditioner for acid. There is a lot of rust in the water especially when the water isn't used for a while. Then it comes out dark brown & takes a month or so to clear up. Then of course everything is rust stained...

Rusty 200 amp box [ 1 Answers ]

The screws in the neutral bar all all rusting. What type of lubricant should be used? The box is only 16 yrs old.

What about rusty water [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a new faucet in our bath tub. The first handful of water that comes out each time is rusty looking, then clears up. Is this a problem and how do we fix it?

Rusty water pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rusty water pipe underneath the kitchen sink that has a pinhole leak, is there anything that I can do to fix it until I can get a plumber?

View more questions Search