Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samir_raut88 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2006, 10:04 PM
    ISTAXES or TAXACT... need some help here!
    I did my taxes last year but I just did it randomly and I only got a dollar back and I begin to think I might have done it incorrectly.

Following is my criteria:

1. I have been in US from aug. 13th with f1 student visa status from Nepal.
    2. I have some medical and social security tax withheld. (does that mean I get this as a refund. Do I get to?)
    (basically, boxes 1-6) are filled in my W-2. Now does that help me know anything directly instead of going through all the stuff.
    3. I have had some stipends through college (does that affect my tax filing at all? Or is it just reflected somewhere else)

I was planning to use www.taxact.com but I did not notice anything for 1040 nr Ez whereas on www.istaxes.com, I see it clearly shown on the front page the 1040 nrEZ , 8843 , etc that to me seem to pertain directly to us and seems easier. I know one of my friends was using taxact and then when he was almost done, he realised taxact didn't ask him about residency and then he had 1040 ez filled instead of 1040 nrEZ. Is he missing sth? Or is it just taxact only for redients.

finally, Should I go with istaxes? Does anybody have any experience?

sorry to sound stupid but US tax stuff really sounds unclear to me at this point. I would appreciate any kind of suggestions for any of my hundreds of questions. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 05:20 PM
    You cannot TaxAct to file a non-resident tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ). I would use istaxes.com.

If the medicare and social security taxes were withheld while on F-1 status, you can file for a refund using Form 843. Download IRS Pub 519 and read pages 45 - 47 to learn of what forms and documents are needed.

Apr 14, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Thank you so much for the answer and for being a part of this great community where help is around for people like me. Im in a small school here and nobody knows **** on this.

Mmm.yea, actually I discovered that later the same night and I filed the tax form with istaxes.com(for 1040nr-ez and 8843). It could be an error, but last night I did not owe any money but when I log in today, now it seems like I owe them 204! Dollars. Since I paid for it, I'm going to say that is correct and follow it this year but I didn't know that I could get the medicare and social security tax withheld amount, refunded. I also talked to IRS about this, and it seems right. So I a hoping to make money that way after paying $204, what a complex system man!

But, thanks for your help.

Apr 14, 2006, 06:20 PM
    By the way, should I get refunded for the state income tax amount? I live in PA and I have about $350 state income tax. I found the state income tax form and I am filling that up. Know anything if a non-resident can expect a refund on this?
    Again, not sure how this thing REALLY works.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 10:41 PM
    I cannot comment if your state refund is accurate without more specifics.

If you have had Social Security and Medicare taxes improperly withheld, you can claim a refund using Form 843. Download IRS Pub 519 from www.irs.gov and read pages 45 - 47 for the procedure and supporting documents needed.
    Dianal08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
    I put the wrong routing number for my checking account
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Then the EFT will be rejected & you will get a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing with taxact.com [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody used taxact.com or have any good or not so good comments about them? Thanks... jrpr

View more questions Search