Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gardengirl_nancy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Could radon gas get into furnace?
    We have not checked for radon but it is bad in our area. We have a crawl space in the basement and I'm wondering if radon gas could come from the CS and possibly get into the furnace and cause a crack in the heat exchanger? Any ideas at all as to why a heat exchanger would crack in a 2 year old Lennox furnace? What causes odors to come from the furnace?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2006, 03:59 AM
    Yes you should check for radon if it's bad in your area, but I don't find sources claiming it can crack a heat exchanger.

The smell you are smelling may very well be due to the crack.

You need a professional out immediately. A cracked H.Ee is a serious thing.

Very odd, though, that it would crack after only 2 years. Sounds like a defect. I'm not familiar with modern furnace warrantees on the materials: Have you checked to confirm if yours might still be under warranty?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

Venting radon [ 3 Answers ]

Can radon just be vented out the roof just like a soil stack vent with out use of a power fan? Any comments are welcome Thanks for your time

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

New furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have got an old furnace I am going to have to replace eventually. I was looking for general advice right now what I should know when finding someone to replace it. I don't want to get into a situation where it will cost me thousands of dollars when I don't need to. I have a gas furnace with hot...

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

View more questions Search