Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stubits Posts: 390, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Corner Kitchen Cabinet
    I am planning a small kitchenette for my basement and would like to install a standard kitchen cabinet (18"W x 24"D x 34.4"H) in the corner. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions on how best to pull this off? I know that I will end up with a decent amount of "dead" space (I am OK with that).

I am relatively new to cabinet installation, but the questions that come to my mind are:

1) how do I make sure that the cabinet is centered in the corner, given that it will not butt up to the wall.

2) what sort of supports will I need to build in to properly support the cabinet given that it will not butt up against the wall

3)how do I connect the "corner" cabinet to the adjoining cabinets?

Thanks!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I can't help with your questions, but have a suggestion: You might avoid the 'dead space' by installing a cabinet-sized, 2-3 tier 'lazy susan' in a corner cab...

Aug 5, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I am not all that concerned about the lost space. I would just like to have a sink in the corner.

Aug 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Here is a photo of the look I am trying to attain, as well as a tape outline of what I am looking to do. I am on my Mac at home and don't have any software to draw up a quick design, but basically, I would like to mount a standard 18" base cabinet in the corner. I am not concerned about the lost space. I like the look and the feel of having a flat cabinet in the corner as opposed to a traditional corner cabinet unit.

The tape diagram isn't very clear, but from left to right,
    1) floor to ceiling pantry (18" wide)
    2)Refrigerator
    3) 15" cabinet
    4) 18" standard cabinet in corner
    5) 15" cabinet
    6) stove (20")
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 11:29 PM
    Usual construction of a kitchen corner cabinet.
    Attached Images

Aug 6, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubits

1) how do I make sure that the cabinet is centered in the corner, given that it will not butt up to the wall.

2) what sort of supports will I need to build in to properly support the cabinet given that it will not butt up against the wall

3)how do I connect the "corner" cabinet to the adjoining cabinets?

Thanks!
    If you insist on using a standard cabinet for a corner cabinet.

Temporarily set the "corner" cabinet and the one on either side in position.
    Secure one on the cabinets on one side in place. Using a straight edge along the back edge of the "corner" mark each wall as to where to put a nailer to attach the cabinet too. Since it is unlikely that you will hit a stud at these points I suggest that you build a triangle form as shown. To tie the front edge of the cabinets you will need a filler strip just behind the leading edge, cut in a triangle shape. This will be as tedious task and can only be done if your cabinets have a face frame with less than a full overlay door. There will be a conflict with doors if frameless cabinets are used.
    Attached Images

Aug 6, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Harold:

Thanks a ton, sounds like great information.

This for a small basement kitchenette, so we are not going with top of the line cabinetry, just the standard in stock cabinets from Lowe's, so they do not have an for a flat front corner base cabinet.

I am thinking it might work to modify their corner wall cabinet to serve in this function. It's only 12" deep, so there would still be some lost space behind the unit, but I think it would be easier to tie into the other cabinets, no? It is however only 30" high, so I'd have to build it up, but that wouldn't be too much trouble.

What do you think of this option? Any suggestions on how to best make it work? The cabinet is 24" wide, but I cannot determine how much actual wall space I will need to make this work. Any ideas? Does it change the amount of wall space if mounted directly to the wall or if it is pulled out like I will be doing?

Aug 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
    A point that I missed. You want to put a sink in this cabinet. It will have to be awfully small to fit in a 18" cabinet.

Another point. Note that the front of a standard base corner cabinet is 17". If you use a 18" sitting at the standard 45 degree angle, the turns in the leading edge of the standard pre-made counter top are not going to line up with the turns in the cabinet. This may or may not be distracting.

About using a wall corner cabinet I think you have gone to far afield. Completely different dimensions. You would be better off building your own corner cabinet and trying to match the finish. What is the finish on the cabinets you are considering.

Building the case is not as difficult as you might think. Depends on wood working skills and tools. You could consider building the corner cabinet case, purchasing an 18" base cabinet. Take the front (the frame) off, rip each stile at a 45 degree angle and putting it on your frame.
    Chrisjb0488 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
    Stubits, how'd this turn out? I'm in the same place considering a standard base or corner wall cabinet for a corner base cabinet in a basement kitchenette. What'd you go with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Cabinet Skins [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing installation of our new Shenandoah kitchen cabinets, and am mildly impressed with the quality and workmanship of these mid-priced big-box-store cabinets. I have a question, though, regarding the cabinet "skins" that were provided for each exposed cabinet end surface. There are skins...

Kitchen sink cabinet [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen cabinets. I am cutting out the sink cabinet to allow the plumbing for the dish washer and inlet/ outlet of the drain. As I know that the cabinet is a standard 24" depth. Now does the cabinet bolt flush against the wall or do I allow a gap. I do not remember how the...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Corner Kitchen Sink installation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm back after months of making slow progress on my kitchen remodel. I'm nearly ready to install the sink, and have run into a problem that I COULD have forseen if I was any good at "planning"! :) While shopping for a sink, I found this very neat design that fits in the corner: a large...

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search