Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suman1983 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Treatment of Vested and Unvested Portion of Stocks
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I request you to kindly provide me some clarification on the treatment of Vested and Unvested Portion of Stocks on a US Individual Income Tax Return.

1.Company X has offered some stock options to few of its Employees few years back and the same has been bought back by the company during the relevant tax year. i.e. the Unvested Portion has been bought back by the company. Tax has been deducted on the Gross Income and the Net Income has been computed accordingly. This all happened outside US i.e. in another country. Now, what should be treatment on the US Individual Income Tax Return, if the taxpayer is a GC holder and has the obligation to report the global income?

Should that income be reported as Compensation Income on Substitute W-2 or Capital Gain Income on Shcedule D of Form 1040. In any of the cases, we would be taking Foreing Tax Credit on Form 1116. Please advice.

2. What is the treatment to be accorded for the Vested Portion if the Company X had converted the options to Shares and the same were parked with the Company itself.

Please clarify.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
    This is a complex tax issue that requires extensive research into the tax code.

It is NOT an appropriate question for this kind of forum using hypotheticals, because the status of the company in question must be researched as well.

Assuming this is NOT a homework question, you should contact a competent tax professional to do the research and analysis and provide a detailed answer in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Vested or Not Vested [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for my previous employer for a few years making regular contributions to my 401k with a small match from my employer. Now my employer has sold the business. I am told that I need to roll the money from my 401k into a IRA but I can only roll over the money that I am vested. Since I did not...

What is my tax portion [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an employer. What is my ca sui? If my employee earns 1020.00 every two weeks

Vested money [ 2 Answers ]

How do I obtained money vested in companies I haven't worked for in over 25 years Will I be notified by the company around my retirement age letting me know I have Money vested or do I have to contact the companies

Vested amount [ 1 Answers ]

Friends, just need some clarification on some financial speak. What is vested amount in reference to a balance on a 401K statement? Thanks?

View more questions Search