Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredjim Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Building outdoor fire pit
    I am in the process of building an outdoor stone fire pit using local stone, which I have gathered around the property. This fire pit is going to be 2 feet high and about 2.5 feet in diameter.
    Are there certain type of stone I should not use and do I need ventilation holes at the base of the pit?
    Any other info will be appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Are your laying flat stones loose or setting boulders with mortar. What's you thoughts? No vent holes needed for a fire pit, the needed air washes down the side walls by convection.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
    The quartz in granitic rocks tends to explode when enough heat is applied. Basaltic rocks are best. If your geology is sedimentary or volcanic local rocks should be OK. If it is metamorphic, you may need to import.

You can test the rock by applying heat with a (big) propane torch. We have a granite "sawmill" here, They texture some products by playing a torch over the surface till small flakes "spall" off, leaving a slightly rough surface. Long term high heat can cause the quartz deeper within the rock to explode, fracturing the rock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building tesla coil first timer will not fire up [ 2 Answers ]

I have car coil driven by 555 ic that part seems to work fine From car coil I have 3 20Kv 500pF caps then my spark gap Conneted to my pri. Pri is 3/16 copper wire 8'' dia approx 6'' tall At 7 windings Sec is 28ga wire 3 1/2 dia 14 1/2 '' tall 1080 windings Can't get any spark at the spark...

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

Outdoor Facuet [ 1 Answers ]

When a hose is attached to the outside faucet and the water is turned on, water spews and runs from under the light grey plastic cap on top of the faucet. The cap has "Antisiphon" on it and from what I understand, this plastic cap is a part of the vacuum breaker. When I try to remove the cap, it...

How to add outdoor 110 receptical [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there-- I have two exterior 110 outlets recessed in the stucco wall on rear wall of my home. They are fed by one circuit that doesn't seem to have anything else on it--and I believe the circuit is GFI protected How do I run a line from one of those receptical boxes to a new box out on...

View more questions Search