Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodgiven Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Wiring a/c new condenser motor
    I'm trying to replace the condenser motor on my Central A/C. I just bought a new motor but it has 4 wires (black/white/brown/brown with white stripe) instead of the 3 (black/red/brown) wires on the old condenser motor. Also, I must use a new capacitor on my new condenser motor. I have two questions.

Can I connect the new condenser motor wires as follows: black-to-black, white to red and brown-to-brown and not use the brown with white stripe, though I'll cap it to prevent a short. The guy who sold me the condenser motor said this was correct but he wasn't completely sure.

My second question concerns the capacitors. The new capacitor is a two-part 7.5 MFD while the old one is a three-part 5 MFD with Fan/C/Herm connectors. I have to use both capacitors because the compressor requires the old 5 MFD capacitor while the new condenser motor requires the new 7.5 MFD capacitor. My question is, does each capacitor need to be connected to the power relay and to its respective component? Or more clearly does the 5 MFD need to be connected to the power relay and the compressor, and the new 7.5 MFD need to be connected to the power relay and the new condenser motor?

Thanks, Ed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
    If I was to guess, the brown and brown/white connect to capacitor. Many of the motors will have a diagram showing the line and capacitor connections, some have an extra 2 wires(maybe purple and yellow) that can be swapped to reverse direction.
    Did you get any wiring info with motor?
    goodgiven Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I used the answer someone else provided to a similar question. Here's what I did.

I connected the two brown wires on the new condenser motor to a single 7.5 capacitor which the new condenser requires.

I connected the white wire to the power supply contactor and the black wire to power supply ground contactor. That connects all the wires on new condenser.

I'm unsure which wires to disconnect from the original dual capacitor with the Fan/C/Herm posts. I disconnected the Fan wire (because that one was obvious) from the dual capacitor. But I'm uncertain which of the other two wires, the C or Herm I need to disconnect from the dual capacitor, or even if I need to disconnect any other wires before I turn it on. I know the compressor needs to be connected to the Herm post but do I disconnect the red (C) wire which is connected to the power supply contactor?

Thanks, Ed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New condenser fan motor wiring [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed a new condenser fan motor (A.O. Smith OYK1028) and are feeling a bit lost with finishing up with the wiring. Both the old and the new motors (this is an OEM replacement) have three wires: purple, brown, and black. We did not remove the old motor, so we did not see how the wires...

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Ijust replace the condenser fan on my rheem ac unit.The old fan had three wire brown yellow and black ,the new fan have four wire two browns yellow and black.I was told by the saleman to hook both brown to the new single capacitor and the yellow & black to the contactor.My old capacitor had a (c)...

Wiring new fan condenser motor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello How are you? I purchased a new fan motor and it has different wire colors than the old one. The old one has a black, brown and yellow wire and the new one has Brown, brown/white, White and black. How are these wired together. This is an outside A/C fan motor 1/4HP, 208-230 volts,...

Wiring new fan condenser motor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello How are you? I purchased a new fan motor and it has different wire colors than the old one. The old one has a black, brown and yellow wire and the new one has Brown, brown/white, White and black. How are these wired together. This is an outside A/C fan motor 1/4HP, 208-230 volts,...

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Compressor tries to come on but trip breaker

View more questions Search