Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schoolbusguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Ford 7.3 Turbo Diesel engine "surging power" condition seen when towing heavy loads
    I have been seeing for the last two camping seasons that when I am towing my 10K camper up long steep hills for an extended period I will begin to hear a "surging" power sound coming from the engine like some sort of engine protection device has kicked in or something. When this happens the guages are all OK and good trany temp, Oil temp and pressure, and the tack remains stable at around 2300 rpm's When I crest the hill the issue goes away and I resume normal engine sounds. I'm only good for about 65 MPH while towing up hill and many times I see other Ford superduty trucks passing me with heavier loads. Does any one have any ideas about this condion or perhaps have had similar experiences. I'm just trying to understand if this is normal or if a problem exists. Many Thanks for any help in advance. Best regards, SchoolBusGuy.
    badlogin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolbusguy View Post
    I have been seeing for the last two camping seasons that when I am towing my 10K camper up long steep hills for an extended period of time I will begin to hear a "surging" power sound coming from the engine like some sort of engine protection device has kicked in or something. When this happens the guages are all OK and good trany temp, Oil temp and pressure, and the tack remains stable at around 2300 rpm's When I crest the hill the issue goes away and I resume normal engine sounds. I'm only good for about 65 MPH while towing up hill and many times I see other Ford superduty trucks passing me with heavier loads. Does any one have any ideas about this condion or perhaps have had similar experiences. I'm just trying to understand if this is normal or if a problem exists. Many Thanks for any help in advance. Best regards, SchoolBusGuy.

That is called turbo surge! Stay out of the pedel when that happens, you WILL destroy your turbo. I had the same problem, you need to get what is called a tuned compessor housing for your turbo. Here is the link that you need to fix your problem, if you haven't hurt the turbo already. Good luck I hope it helps. http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats_new/pro...p?p=3227202901

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Ford 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo- Diesel [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2003 7.3 power stroke turbo-diesel runs great however after driving the vehicle 5 to 15 minutes starts to bogg down looses all power as if, starving for fuel If let sit for 20 minutes will start up and run for another 15 minutes and stop again.Changed the fuel pump and have a full tank of...

Ford power stroke diesel engine [ 7 Answers ]

My 97 Ford f350 power stroke diesel quit on the way to work . The fuel filter was changed Then on the way home it quit again. After sitting for a little bit it started again. It will run good for about 15 minutes then shuts off. What could be wrong with it?

1995 F350 7.3 turbo diesel no power! [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a 1995 f350 7.3 liter turbo diesel with 5sp man trans. 108k miles. When I test drove it it was about 28 degrees outside and it ran great, started right up (cold) and the turbo was clearly working. Now it seems to bog down at about 2200-2500 RPM in every gear and putting the pedal to...

7.3 turbo diesel no power [ 1 Answers ]

1994 ford superduty turbo diesel has no power and won't go above 2500rpm no matter how far you push the throttle? What could be the problem?

1985 Ford LTD Engine has "No Spark" [ 1 Answers ]

My son has a 1985 FORD LTD Engine Help he just bought it. It ran for about a week now we have no engine spark. We changed out the ignition coil. Still no spark. What else should we look at next? The battery is good! :eek:

View more questions Search