Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedNY_NJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Live in NJ... work in NYC
    I am married, currently own a home in New Jersey and am looking for work in NYC. I will be commuting to NYC via the train so I will maintain residency in NJ. My questions are, on my paycheck, what will be deducted? How will my year end taxes be affected if I file multistate?

Let's say I make 80,000/annual in NJ and am offered a job in NYC for 100K. Will the tax deductions on my biweekly paycheck offset the increase in salary? Meaning would it be worth my while to accept a position offering 100K per year if my take home pay would be the same as me staying with a position which pays 80K per year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
    You will pay NY state income taxes, which are higher than NJ taxes.

NJ offers a credit for the NY taxes paid, so you will effectively pay NO NJ taxes (though you MUST file a NJ tax return to make this happen).

I doubt the NY taxes are so much higher to offset the $20K increase in salary, but you must also consider the commuting costs and the cost of eating lunch in NYC (not cheap by any means) every day while working.

It may be a wash now, but you probably would have better advancement opportunities in NYC vice NJ (just my opinion).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ - Work in PA [ 10 Answers ]

I understood that there is an agreement between NJ/PA that residents working in the other state will have tax withheld for their state of residence. My employer followed that until this year. I now have PA state tax & local city tax withheld. They also just switched my sui from PA to NJ. ...

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

Live in NYC Work in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that if you live in NYC (Brooklyn) and work in NJ you are taxed twice. I understand that you pay taxes to both states, & NY City; but overall are you taxed more than the situation if you lived and worked in NYC only based on a $30,000 salary. Also from the following situations which...

Live in NJ work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Thinking of moving to NJ from NYC. What would the tax implication be? Higher/Lower? Currently I'm paying NY State and NYC resident, around $300 biweekly. How will the taxes be computed once I tell my employer that I moved to NJ? Thank You.

Work in NJ live in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I work in NJ but live in NYC. I am confused over what forms I need to fill out. I believe I have made an error in that I have filed NJ state tax using the over the phone service. Now I am told that I should have filed as a nonresident in NJ which would have gotten me all of my NJ withheld tax...

View more questions Search