Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kekekekevin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Can I claim my father and his family as my dependents in this situation.
    I'm a citizen of USA. My monthly net income is about $1500. Every month, I send $500-$800 U.S Dollars to my father and his family(my step-sister and step-mom) who are in China. All the transactions are sent through my Bank of America checking account. They are not U.S citizens. In case like this, is it possible to claim them as my dependents?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 05:44 AM
    They may be eligible under "Qualifying Relative," and for this it is not necessary that they live with you. However, a dependent must be citizen or resident of the U.S.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Sorry, but in order to claim anyone OTHER than your spouse or child as a dependent, they MUST be in the U.S.

This is because you are from China. There are countries that, due to tax treaty, do NOT require the physical presence of the dependent, but China is NOT one of thoese countries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending. Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that. Thanks, Reyn

Can I claim my parents-in-law as dependents [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My parents came to visit us from a foreign country. They stayed with us from June 2006 to May 2007. My wife and I are US permanent residency and are filling as joint return. I am wondering whether I can claim as my dependents when I file my tax return. They are not US citizens or...

Sample tips for foreigners who wants to claim their dependents for tax purposes. [ 4 Answers ]

I just want to share my experience in filing my tax return. I'm a foreigner working in the United States. If your spouse and child/children are not in the U.S. and you want to claim them as your dependents for tax purposes, here's what I did: 1. Instead of filing my returns through mail, I...

Want to claim parents from India as dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have read many posts on this website for claiming parents as dependents for tax filing in U.S. I want to present my case since I am not able to conclude whether I can claim my parents or not: 1) I am an Indian Citizen working on H1B in U.S. I am single -unmarried yet and I need to file...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

View more questions Search