Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Courdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
    AC is not producing any cool air
    The outside fan turns on for about 5 minutes, shuts off, then immediately turns back on.
    I replaced the capacitor last year at this time and it seams to be fine. Both the high and low pressure lines feel to be about the same temperature. I cleaned the coils and the compressor was very hot.
    I don't have any ideas where to go next.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Just because you replace the capacitor last year that does not mean that it won't be the problem this year.
    You need to check the windings in the compresor to make sure they are not shorted or burned.

One sugestion I have is to use a hard start kit on your compresor, if it does not have one.
    Courdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Courdan
    The outside fan turns on for about 5 minutes, shuts off, then immediately turns back on.
    I replaced the capacitor last year at this time and it seams to be fine. Both the high and low pressure lines feel to be about the same temperature. I cleaned the coils and the compressor was very hot.
    I don't have any ideas where to go next.
    Thanks for your help.
    When you mentioned burned, I remembered last time there was a burned wire off the capacitor. When I actually got in and took a good look, sure enough a burned wire. I replaced the wire and now I have cool air. Now I am wondering what is causing it to get so hot. After running the unit for about ten minutes, I went out and looked at the wire I just replaced and the casing near the connector has changed colors and is getting soft. So it looks like it will do it again.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
    It could be that you have the wrong capacitor for the motor you are using, did you match the cap to the motor? Also the motor may be installed with the fan in the wrong place and this make the fan bite more or less air, that will make the amps of the motor go us making everything get too hot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting [ 4 Answers ]

About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump... The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an...

Cat still producing milk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my cat has recently been separated from young,kittens .she appears confused and is carrying swollen sacs of milk,is there anything I cando to help her through this ,she is very clingy

View more questions Search