Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sixscrews Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Dodge ram a/c blower NOT blowing
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram.. . here's the short version. A/C was working great. Fan shut off, fan came on, approx 1 minute later fan shut off, 2 minutes later fan came on... did this about 5 times until it didn't come back on again. A/C light was still on, Compressor kicks on and I can feel cold air "fall" out of the vent or defroster depending on how fast I am going. I pulled my fuse panel and #39, A/C condenser fan was burnt. Replaced fuse and did not fix the problem. Any ideas. I live in the desert and it is aa nasty mother here now so some A/C would be great! Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 05:49 AM
    A couple of possibilities come to mind:
    The blower motor is beginning to seize, or the blower control resistor has a poor connection or is failing. The controller may also be having a poor connection.
    Let us know.

Aug 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    A couple of possibilities come to mind:
    The blower motor is beginning to seize, or the blower control resistor has a poor connection or is failing. The controller may also be having a poor connection.
    Let us know.
    Thanks for the respose. Have some new info, may or may not help. I pulled the blower motor out and applied a 12v power source, motor kicked hard and turned great, no binding or anything. Pulled the blower control resistor (1 four wire plug and 2 screws) the little metal contact was soldered in place and there was a little of the green corrosion on the contacts so I cleaned them up. If someone knows how to test this with a multimeter I would love that info. Still nothing changed. I did forget to mention previously that sometimes when I shut the truck off, the blower kicks on for a bit. That probably shouldn't happen but it has been doing that a lot longer than I have had the current problem. Don't know if the 2 are separate faults or could be linked. I did notice last night that cool air comes out at a little slower rate than the lowest setting. Would the parts store have a blower control resistor or is it a dealer part? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sixscrews
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram. ...here's the short version. A/C was working great. Fan shut off, fan came on, approx 1 minute later fan shut off, 2 minutes later fan came on...did this about 5 times until it didn't come back on again. A/C light was still on, Compressor kicks on and I can feel cold air "fall" out of the vent or defroster depending on how fast I am going. I pulled my fuse panel and #39, A/C condenser fan was burnt. Replaced fuse and did not fix the problem. Any ideas. I live in the desert and it is aa nasty mother here now so some A/C would be great! Thanks.
    Finally figured this issue out. It was by accident but never the less I have found it. Have no idea what the part is called so I am hoping someone can tell me, that way I can get it and replace it. It is a little black box in my steering column. If you pop the top cover off the steering column right behind the steering wheel tilt lever on the left is a black box that the main connector plugs into. This is connected to this other "thingy" (long round tube) that goes to where you put the key in. If I pull up on the box my fan kicks in once I let go it shuts off. Does someone know what the box is or the long round tube thingy? Thanks.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sixscrews
    Finally figured this issue out. It was by accident but never the less I have found it. Have no idea what the part is called so I am hoping someone can tell me, that way I can get it and replace it. It is a little black box in my steering column. If you pop the top cover off the steering column right behind the steering wheel tilt lever on the left is a black box that the main connector plugs into. This is connected to this other "thingy" (long round tube) that goes to where you put the key in. If I pull up on the box my fan kicks in once I let go it shuts off. Does someone know what the box is or the long round tube thingy? Thanks.
    It sounds like you're describing the ignition switch. That switch controls power to the HVAC blower (along with all the other accessories) and if that switch isn't providing power unless you manipulate the harness, you may need to replace that switch with it's harness, sold as a unit. It may be available aftermarket or from the dealer. Call around.

Here's the schematic for the blower resistor. Zero your meter before testing.

Name:  1A.gif
Views: 30022
Size:  19.1 KB
    Dalimoadib Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Hi. . sixscrews, I have the same problem and also replase the resistor and work for a while but now it stopped, I can feel the cold air but is not blowing. How did you get it to work?

Thanks

Sep 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Take the cover off your steering column at the gauge panel. Look to the left of the column there is a little black box that is your ignition switch. With the power on and the blower switch on wiggle it around to see if it comes on. I wedged mine up a little bit and has been working great for over a year now. Let me know if you need anything clarified. Good luck.
    Dalimoadib Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 11:08 AM

I had to change the entire wire switch on the left (middle part) of the column. I see now that your is a 02, mine is a 03. . Bit different. But the problem resided on the column never the less. . Thanks for the tip.
    keystoner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
    In regards to the steering column, there was a recall on those model trucks for that exact problem. You can take it to your dealer and they will replace the harness
    callmebob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keystoner View Post
    in regards to the steering column, there was a recall on those model trucks for that exact problem. You can take it to your dealer and they will replace the harness
    I too have the same (fan/blower) not working/working intermittently. Often have resolved problem by moving steering column up and down until fan motor wakes up and begins blowing the cold ac. Works sometimes in only wheel down position other times wheel up position.

I would be very interested in a dealer (or NHTSA) recall number for the problem. A repair at dealer cost would be almost better than cool ac on a summer day here in Red Bluff, CA.

Thanks for the help!
    callmebob
    captainde Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Well I have wiggled the little black box, pushed to the side, and everything else and no change. My blower motor works I know because I hooked it to a battery. The wire that plugs into the blower motor under the passenger side dash has no power? Is this from that wire harness in the steering column? 94 today wish I had air LOL! Any other ideas?
    captainde Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Well I have wiggled the little black box in the steering column pushed and pulled on it. I know the blower motor works because I hooked it to a battery. But the wire that plugs into the bottom of the motor on the passenger side has no power? Is that from the cluster of wires in the steering column? Help!!
    johncrampton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Comment on keystoner's post
    Any info on recall 04 ram same problem on third time... John
    vetthc72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Comment on Dalimoadib's post
    Thanks sixscrews I had the same problem in my 2003 Dodge Ram. The fan blower would stay on even after I removed the key from the ignition and this was going on for quite some time and if I parked my truck and forgot to turn the fan to the off position and went inside for a long period I would come out to a dead battery. Eventually the fan stopped working completely but like you said the A/C would fall out depending on my speed. I spent my whole Saturday spending money on replacing the blower resistor and the blower motor to no evail. Finally after doing my internet research I came across your thread about the fix being in the steering column. Sure enough I went outside and as soon as I raised the steering wheel the fan kicked right on.

Thanks again!
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 1, 2011, 05:15 AM

I have researched any recalls for 2003 or 2004 but cannot find any that apply to these symptoms. There does appear to be one for 2002.
    But that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if your local dealer runs your VIN through their system and finds an open recall specific to your vehicle.
    There may be recalls on a certain "block" of VIN's but not on later models. Frequently, once the manufacturer has discovered a problem during assembly, everything after that has the correction built in but those units that have already been shipper and delivered will be subject to... recall.
    spud83672 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Ok guys, I tried all the recommendations on this board regarding this issue but to no avail. My control works for moving blend doors, etc and the buttons for A/C and heated mirrors work, but the control for the fan does not. No speeds at all are available. I have replaced the blower motor relay, but that didn't help either. I have taken the dash completely apart and traced all wires (that I could get to) but that didn't help either. I've shaken wire harnesses, adapters, couplers, etc to no avail. Could it be that the actual HVAC control unit is SHOT! Hopefully someone else is having this same issue and has come up with a solution to the problem. Please help!! It's cold outside...
    spud83672 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
    Ok everyone. I solved this problem by replacing the Ignition Switch. This is a $30.00 part from Autozone, part #LS1144. When I took the old part out, I noticed that the top two spade contacts were burned beyond recognition. This happens to be the case with the wiring harness as well, but the heater fan switch works again just fine. Now I need to find out why my cruise control won't work. I was hoping that replacing this switch would cure that issue too.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Yup, I always tell people to check ignition switches for wear, pitting, and melting. Nice job.
    bgil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 05:47 PM
    I just wanted to tell you guys how awesome you are for your answers here. I spent so much time last weekend trying to figure out the problem to the same issue. Blower motor stopped working. I tried replacing the resistor, the blower motor itself, check and replaced relays/fuses, even replaced my battery terminal connectors because they were in bad shape. Nothing work. I was just reading your entries here and work and figured I'd go outside just now to check the wiring harness just out of curiousity. That was exactly what the problem was. I moved the harness around a bit and the blower started working again. Lol. I was just about to take the truck to the shop tomorrow and spend who knows how much. Can't that you guys enough...
    Kanramman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Same here ignition switch,hvac control... I tried everything else, read this post.. Changed out melted ignition switch replaced the harness and some of the wiring... So basically if the blower isn't working and you've checked the resistor (by unplugging the resistor then testing the blower control you should have only high speed>>) if this still doesn't work it's the ignition switch...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Blower Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota. Owned for two years now and well maintained, but my blower control has problems. The heat and A/C work fine, but when I turn the fan on to feel the air, it only blows air out on high. The check engine light is off, and everything is set correctly, but it will NOT blow...

EFI keep blowing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 Toyota Land Cruiser. When I at idle MY EFI fuse keeping. EFI fuse do not blow if I have my foot on gas. If someone have the answer for this please let me know.

Furnace blower on, blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

We installed a pellet stove with the intent of using the furnace blower to distribute the air throughout the home, however, nothing but cold air comes through the vents. Can anyone tell me why this is ?

View more questions Search