Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lulu2912 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Aug 4, 2008, 02:05 PM
    2006 Chevy Equinox A/C not blowing?
    I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and after driving for about 15 minutes the air conditioner almost completely stops blowing. I can here it trying to come out and it sounds like it is restricted somehow. Sometimes no air comes out at all. But I can hear it trying and little white specks come flying out. Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Aug 4, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Sounds to me like the unit is not cycling correctly and it is allowing it to freeze up. Can you hear a snapping sounds of the clutch turning on and off while it is running. You may have to open the hood and watch for the compressor clutch as well.

Morrowrj

Aug 4, 2008, 09:50 PM
    No I can't hear any clicking, but when I look under the hood the AC pipe is all iced over and there is a small pump like thing that is completely frozen. Do you know what that is or what that means?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Aug 5, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Yes, this is what I meant by freeze up. There can be several causes for this. It is possible that your evaporator drain line is plugged. It also could be that your refrigerant level is too low. As a temporary fix you can try switching your A/C from Max to Normal. This should force the compressor to cycle and slow down freeze up. When you notice the air flow slowing you may have to switch off all together until you can get someone to check this out for you.

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj

Aug 5, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Thank you for your help!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 07:05 AM
    There is a bulletin: #07-01-38-005
    That bulletin addresses Body Control Module (BCM) calibrations to prevent freezing at the evaporator core.
    You might also have a cycling switch that has malfuncitoned.
    This could allow the compressor to run longer than is necessary and will then cause the evaporator core to freeze over.
    Is your vehicle out of it's factory warranty?
    Either way, have this properly diagnosed to prevent unnecessary parts being replaced.
    gebby257 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Thank you CaptianRich, my A/C in my 2006 Equinox has just started smoking out the vent with decreased air flow. I figured is was icing up. I will look into the BCM calibration with my local mechanic. Thanks for the info!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gebby257 View Post
    Thank you CaptianRich, my A/C in my 2006 Equinox has just started smoking out the vent with decreased air flow. I figured is was icing up. I will look into the BCM calibration with my local mechanic. Thanks for the info!
    That smoking is most likely 100% humidity-water vapor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married in dec 2006, both opt->h1 from oct 2006, tax category? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife were both on F1->OPT till sep 2006. Both of us started our H1B From Oct 1,2006. We got married in Dec 2006. Now according to SPT both of us are non residents for tax purposes as days spent on F1->OPT are not counted towards SPT. But if we file jointly(which we should since we...

Chevy Van [ 2 Answers ]

Who wrote it and who sings it?

G20 Chevy Van [ 1 Answers ]

I have an error code of 37 for my Chevy G20 van. It stalls after 15 minutes or less of running. Suggestions?

Need for 79 chevy [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find a diagram of the wiring harness for 1979 3/4 ton 4*4 chevy pickup I need to know which wires run to the starter and which post on the starter do they go to Thank you Josh

View more questions Search