Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
    How important is the physical attraction?
    Is it possible to have a long lasting relationship (& possibly marriage) to a person you love but you are not physically attracted with? My friends and cousins tell me its VERY IMPORTANT but I disagree because most of my Bf's weren't all love at first thing but I loved all of them because of the things they do for me.

Has anyone share the same opinion or its just me?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 01:25 PM
    It depends on what you find attractive. My husband is a wonderful man, he has it all, for me anyway. He's funny, smart, kind, caring and I think he's handsome. Now, you may look at him and think he's average or unattractive, or you may not be attracted to his personality the way I am. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and attraction isn't always physical.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Alten hit the nail on the head, it depends on what you find attractive. I mean looks will always factor in but it doesn't have to be a deciding factor at all. A person could be drop dead gorgeous on the outside and completely ugly on the inside. Depends on what you want out of the relationship
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
    I think the same. Guys to me maybe be handsome but right, I don't go for them just because they are. My BF's were not handsome but they are however nice, smart, financially stable and gentlemen. I just wonder why my cousins& friends don't take their Bf seriously because "they are not handsome" then why they are still hooking up.. I love to think that maybe they are not just into them at all.

Nothing.. I just thought that since I meet a lot of women who says the same thing, I questioned myself maybe its true that physical attractions matters A LOT.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
    I think that physical attraction can be a turn on when you first meet someone. Therefore people do have relationships based on physical attraction , which in my opinion won't last in the long run.

However when you actually fall in love with someone it is because you love the way their personality fits in with yours and the way they make you feel etc.

Like they say "Love is Blind"
    maxim_r Posts: 24, Reputation: 6

Aug 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
    There has to be physical attraction for a relationship to start, unless it is more of a business decision, i.e. for money, green card, status, or whatever. But if it is a relationship based on love, physical attraction is necessary in the beginning.

And obviously, physical attraction is subjective so what you find attractive might not be attractive for someone else.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Physical attraction, and love are two different things. You can be physically attracted to millions of people if you care to check it, but love is a bond, that gets better when the partners are working on it together.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 12:58 PM
    It's not good to hook with someone if you have some hidden agenda. Same thing if you go after beauty alone (e.g trophy wives). Ideally, these things have to be together but that's not always the case.

But, is it a NEED to have a physical attraction? I just believe you can teach the heart when everything just fall into place. I mean, Im after the bond like Tal said, someone who can make me better someday, be it a career or improvement of my future kids and who can jive on my personality. I just consider beauty as a bonus.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Aug 5, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I was with an amazing man at one point. He would move heaven and earth for me and my son. The attraction however, was not there for me. I tried. I really did. I tried to fool myself into thinking it was there. He made loads of money, drove a lexus, we went on vacations and I thought... "This man loves me so much, how can I let him down?" But I had to because it wasn't fair to him. When he had me trying on engagement rings I knew that I had to end it. I couldn't pretend anymore. I couldn't let him be w/ someone who didn't feel that attraction. I didn't "want" him the way he wanted me. He's a good lookin' guy. He comes from a prominent family. I mean everything was there but when we'd kiss I felt nothing. I loved him dearly. But just realized it wasn't fair. My mom tried to tell me that some of the best loves are the ones you grow into. Not the ones where you can't keep your hands off each other. I think she just wanted me to marry him. I have one life and I am not going to spend it w/ someone who doesn't make my heart flutter at least a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should there be physical attraction-looks? [ 3 Answers ]

If you meet a really nice guy that seems to have it all(personality,responsible,trust,honest) have much in common-compatible in a lot of areas,and I guess that is considered chemistry to some. But the head over heels isn't there, but he is this great guy, or the attraction isn't there-physically...

Law of Attraction [ 93 Answers ]

The Law of Attraction What you focus on expands. Your thoughts, feelings, and actions will expand and return to you. Every thought you have, is like placing an order out into the universe and it will return to you. If you truly want to change your life for the better then change your...

No physical attraction [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for a year and a half. Our marriage has been great and we love each other so much. I have noticed lately though that he doesn't offer to show me any affection anymore and I can't keep his attention for more than 2 seconds. When we first got married he would...

I'm Married... and have developed a major physical attraction to one of employees [ 4 Answers ]

I am a professional, married successful person and have neve had any type of problem with this situation before. It has torn me up inside and I can't hardly figure out how to deal with it. I am a Top-Level Executive that indirectly oversees 200 employees and 25 direct employees. Last...

Its all about attraction; [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I am nishu,and I have prolem which is very silly to here.I am more attracted towards the women of age between 30 to 35 years,silly is't it.ut my friends used to make fun on the same topic.I am really confused,what do ,is this because aged women are really sexy to look at or there is some...

View more questions Search