Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    06f150 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Supporting brick wall, concrete patio
    As you can see I am temporarily supporting it by 4x6’s, before it was resting half on the old side walk with two of the bricks sitting in there lose. When whom ever poured the first side walk they broke out half of the foundation block too pour the patio under the brick, which the brick were originally supported by the foundation block. I am re-pouring the side walk making it in to a 16'x14' patio and I need some advise on the brick.

-When I took the old side walk out I had the brick with no support under them and they seemed fine and anchored to the wall OK……Should I just pour the new side walk under the bricks, like the old one was done? Or should I try to support the brick from the bottom from another way?

Only problem I have is if I go the first route would be the brick falling off the wall when the concrete in wet….. but like I said they seemed to be secured to wall with no supported under them…

thanks for any help!

-Josh
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
    That is what's called a brick veneer and yes you can pour under it. Those don't appear to be full thickness bricks, are they?
    06f150 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    That is whats called a brick veneer and yes you can pour under it. Those don't appear to be full thickness bricks, are they?
    I don't have them in front of me but from what I can remember they are a normal size brick, they also have the 3 round holes punched out in them.

Thanks for your response
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I'd pour sidewalk up to garage apron, then as soon as concrete began to set up, I'd mortar bricks and slide into place.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Whoever set those bricks took some liberties with construction techniques. If they are full sized bricks they should have been set on a brick ledge which is a lip in the foundation wall. That way any weight is carried by the foundation. In your situtaion it appears they were set on a sidewalk which moves seasonally, compared to a foundation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean red brick patio [ 1 Answers ]

How to clean red brick patio

Removing Mortar on top of Brick patio [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove mortar that the brick layers got on the top of our brick patio. It is not all over, but enough that it needs to be removed.

Concrete/Brick Patio [ 1 Answers ]

We're laying brick next to a 10x10 concrete slab. Is there some sort of paint/stain that can be put onto the concrete to make it look closer in color to the brick? Is it possible to create patterns?

White stuff on red brick patio [ 4 Answers ]

Its powdery, white and I can't get rid of it. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Cleaning brick patio/walkway [ 3 Answers ]

I have a large brick walkway that, during the winter, gets real slimy and slippery. Rather than have it steam cleaned every year, is there something, such as washing detergent or the like, that I could apply to the bricks and scrub them clean with a stiff broom? I live in Portland, Oregon, where...

View more questions Search