Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeidiMaria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Hot electric socket with two immersions connected to it
    We have recently had our water tank repaired (the bottom immersion was leaking). We now have two immersions working. At first the plumber connected them to a timer which would only work for 10 minutes and would then switch itself off. My husband wired both immersions up to one switch which appeared to be fine for about a week. However, now the electrical switch is getting very hot and it smells a bit like rotten fish. Do we need to connect it differently? Thanks everyone.:confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Did you ever consider calling the plumber and asking him why he put the pumps on a timer?

The current draw of both circuits being active at one time maybe burning up your electrical components. More than likely you will now need an electrician back on-site to repair or replace you circuits.

A picture would really help us.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
    I'm confused with what's going on. 1) the purpose of the timer, 2) The rating of the water heater, total and separate.

Usually only one element is allowed to be on at any given time.

You may have exceeded the ratings of the timer and hence the smell and possible fire hazzard.
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
    If the switch is hot and emitting a smell then you should get it repaired immediately. Definitely a fire hazard!

I'm confused with what's going on. 1) the purpose of the timer
    Maybe to heat their water in the wee hours of the morning while the electrical rates are cheaper or for their morning showers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

New 3 wire socket replacing two wire socket [ 5 Answers ]

We have a room that had a 2 wire socket, originally installed, and a three wire socket that was changed from a two wire socket by myself, called "Socket A". Recently an electrician installed two small fans in the same room and changed the 2 wire socket "Socket B" into a 3 wire socket. He did not...

No socket errors [ 1 Answers ]

How do I fix no socket errors?

Socket 939 motherboards [ 1 Answers ]

I've read that many boards that have a 939 socket for AMD 64 bit processors can also support their new dual core X2 but what I wanted to know is how do I tell if a motherboard can support dual core or not? I thought maybe there is a list of chipsets that can support it but I don't know where to...

View more questions Search