Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohyeahhx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I've been feeling a bit.off.
    Hi.
    I always feel really awkward bringing stuff up with my doctor because I don't want him to think that every little thing out of the ordinary I find I need to tell him, so do think there's anything he would care about knowing?

I'm a 15 year old female. Lately I've been a little off and people hae been telling me so. I've been getting AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep and still taking naps in the middle of the day (and I haven't really been doing anything that would exhaust me. Practicing dance, going on the computer, etc.).

Also, I know one bruise doesn't really mean anything but it's just weird for me so I figured I'd say it... I don't bruise. Ever. But I was in the shower one day and there's a huge (heart shaped =]) bruise on my knee.

And I have noticed I've been short of breath, I used to be able to do my reel or jig perfectly without even breathing hard and lately I've been dying after 1 or 2 run throughs.

And I've had no appetite, whatsoever. It's really weird, I can barely eat a bowl of cereal now without being so full I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm just never hungry.

Also, about 2 weeks ago (the last time I bled) I cut myself shaving and I know those cuts tend to bleed more, but it's never been this ridiculous for me. I held a tissue to it for about 10 minutes then I got bored and put a band aid on it, wrote in my journal for about 5 minutes. I looked back down and it had bled through my band aid, down my leg, and onto my bed. I don't know what that was but I was a little freaked out, not going to lie.

I did just have a cold (it only lasted for a couple of days though). My glands are swollen but that is probably from the cold I guess.
    I also have a rash on my chest. It's been there for a really long time.
    And last but not least... pain below my rib cage. Especially when I stand for a "long" period. I put long in quotation marks because it's not long... about 15 minutes and I need to sit down or at the very least lean on something.
    Also, the past 3ish days when I get up I've been very off balance. Not really dizzy but off balance. To be honest, I look like a drunk. This lasts for about 5-15 minutes after I get up. I know a lot of people get dizzy when I they get up but I'm wrtiing this because this is different. The dizzy-i-got-up-to-fast-and-all-my-blood-is rushing-to-my-head is different (that happens to me too). I've bee laying in bed for about 5 minutes before I've gotten up these past few days too and been as off balace as you can be lying down, even before getting up.

Wow, I'm really sorry I wrote so much! Thank you for even reading that!
    Thank you!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Please visit with your parent or parents about all of this, print out your post and give them a copy as well as taking a copy to your physician. The symptoms you mention could be symptoms of numerous maladies, some serious, some not so serious. In any case, these symptoms need to addressed by a physician.

Doctors are here to answer our health questions with concern and diligence. If your physician does not make you comfortable about sharing with him, ask your parents to please find you one with which you can have good communication.

I am so glad you posted and please keep us updated. Whether symptoms we have are those of something serious or of no consequence, peace of mind is so important. If it is something serious, then the sooner it is addressed the better. If it isn't serious, then you can deal with whatever it is and get on with your life and not have that worry hanging over your head. Best to you. Do see a physician soon please!

Aug 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
    I am actually going to the doctor tomorrow, I had that at the top but I must have edited it out haha.
    Hmm I would feel weird printing this out because then they'd know I went on the internet for this. Ha I know that sounds weird but it just bothers me.
    I'll tell my doctor what I can remember.
    Sorry I must sound so weird, not wanting to tell my doctor and parents this stuff, but I come from a really medical family so they write a lot of stuff off and it makes me feel dumb.
    Do you think there are a few symptoms of specific importance I should mention? Because I probably will not have the guts to come with a whole list, it makes me feel like a hypochondriac.
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

Ps. This is bothering me a lot "i've been feeling a bit...off."**
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 07:29 PM
    An idea for you! Just copy and paste what you typed into a Word Document on your computer, revise it to make it more of a list of concerns. That way, you maintain your privacy of reaching out here on the site, you have not lied to anyone and you are making sure your list of symptoms is complete and it should be just that... COMPLETE! It will give a better picture to the doctor of what you are dealing with.

Perhaps because of the medical background of your family or because you are young, whatever reason makes you feel like a "hypochondriac" or "dumb" as you say in your post, you can walk into a doctor's office, address your symptoms in a manner very professionally, state the issues you are most concerned about first but address them all. Generally, doctors will address it professionally with you and take you very serious at any age.

If the doctor addresses only a few of them, before you leave, ask again, what about this symptom?? ETC. I would take paper and pen, take notes on what he says, make sure you address all symptoms. Chances are, he will ask you questions which will allow you the freedom to mention all that is troubling you. Also, he will undoubtedly order some blood work that will check most of the issues you address.

You know that your health is of utmost importance to your future, take a deep breath, walk in there and say hello, let him see that you have a list on a piece of paper (even if you hand write the list rather than copy and paste from here) and go from there. If he seems short and cuts you off, stick right in there and tell him you really would like to ask him just a few more questions. You are paying for his time Little One so you have the right and responsibility to yourself to get answers to these concerns. Keep us posted! I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hang tough and get those questions answered!! :) I know you can do it!! Keep in mind, this is important to you, therefore it should be important to your doctor.

:::EDIT::: I hope your doctor will do a strepp test. The rash on your chest alerted my mind to that possibility. Strepp could account for the dizzy feeling, lack of energy, just not feeling quite like yourself. If you do have infection, that could also account for lack of appetite. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, AS I SAID, I HAVE NO MEDICAL BACKGROUD!! :) I just thought about Strepp a bit ago as I was thinking about your appt. tomorrow. Wouldn't hurt to ask him but only after he completes his examination and orders tests or whatever he will do. That way, you can just address your symptoms and he will make the diagnosis but if you get no solid answers, just thought this might help.

Aug 4, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Thank you for helping me so much!
    I don't think it's strepp because I had my tonsils out and that makes it really unlikely, right?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahhx
    thank you for helping me so much!
    i don't think it's strepp because i had my tonsils out and that makes it really unlikely, right?
    Let us know how your doctor appointment goes. Hope you find some answers! You will feel so much better just having gotten answers to your questions from your doctor. You take care, rest when you need to and if you don't get answers from this doctor, don't hesitate to ask your parents to set you up an appt. with a different one.

It is my understanding, anyone can get strepp at any given time. One does not always have a sore throat either yet has strepp. It was just a thought that came to me thinking about your rash on our chest. Like I say, I am not a doctor, just a concerned friend! I will be checking back, anxious to hear what you find out!! Chances are it is not Strepp. Just anxious to know what is causing your feeling of ill health. Best to you.

Aug 4, 2008, 01:29 PM
    I had the doctor's appointment.
    I found out what the loss of balance was from, I have fluid behind my ears, most likely from flying. I didn't really... bring anything else up. I'm feeling okay right now so I don't know I just didn't say anything. =/
    If it gets worse I'll just be like "hey mom we need to go to the doctor again" I guess.
    Thanks so much for your support and advice! I'll keep you updated if it gets worse or better or what.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Thank you for the update ohyeahhx! Good health to you! Take care!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feeling like everything is different [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a three-week course in another city, and since I got back my perception of everything in my life seems different. Not in a bad way - just different - so I am curious to know if anyone else has ever felt like this too. For example, I've always had hang-ups about my...

Feeling Used? [ 43 Answers ]

I started talking to this guy who is very attractive, college educated, funny, et cetera. I was excited because I am happy to go back to a city where I left on a very bad note but still love. Brief background on him just to I can paint a picture: 1. Former NFL player and played in the...

Not feeling well [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I haven't really been feeling well for about a year already. I have been having headaches, feel nauseous, shaky, and trouble breathing. The doctors haven't really found anything yet, other then that I had skuliosis. I have been going to the chiropractor for about five months already. Are...

Feeling Ignored [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 16 years old and I have a question. My parents got divorced when I was 8, and my mom got a boyfriend right away, and eventually married him. I liked him then, he was nice, and my mom liked him, so I wanted her to be happy. They've had 2 kids since then, and now I feel like I'm totally...

Why I got this feeling? [ 24 Answers ]

Hii my name is caroline hey I don't know I love my man but I'm so insecure , n is not I don't trust him but I been hurt lot of time and I'm just scared that happen again , now my question its this normal in person? Please can some body help me because I think I'm going carzy I can't sleep, I...

View more questions Search