Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiro Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Criticism needed for new idea
    For halloween/conventions I will be wearing an Altair costume from the game Assassin's Creed. This is my current design for a hidden blade which is both extendable and retractable while maintaining safety.

Imagine a 3 part telescoping blade. The largest part which houses both of the other parts while they are retracted is Part A. Part A is the main housing for the entirety of the mechanism. There is a cap at the open end of Part A. Inside the cap is a spring affixed to the cap and the front of the innermost telescoping blade, call it Part C. when a locking mechanism is released the spring will force the foremost blade portion (Part C) out in turn extending the middle telescoping portion, call it Part B. The spring forcing Part C out also serves as a safety mechanism because if the blade should poke someone it will be pressed down, preventing any kind of penetration.

For the retracting mechanism imagine a wide, thin spool with two wires attached. This spool is located in a separate compartment attached behind the cap on the main housing. The first wire is taut and attached to Part C. The second wire has slack and is attached to Part B. When the motor connected to the spool is activated the spool will turn first pulling Part A inside Part B, the second wire will have that much slack in it and at this point will be taut and the spool will pull both Part A and Part B back into Part C. When parts A and B are fully retracted the mechanical lock will reengage with an audible click and I will stop the motor.

Advice? Suggestions? Flaws?

By the way all of the blade portions will be dulled to a great extent. This is for showing off, not killing people.
    tomvo96 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 03:26 PM

Youmay be able to just put a small, sensitive pushbutton switch in the base, so that when blade is fully retracted it would turn off automatically, just an idea.
    Just disengage motor and your spring would pop the blade up as planned

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some constructive criticism for dealing with a psycho baby mama [ 40 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancé for a little over three years. In October of last year we broke up and he slept with his babies mother. He already has two children by her. Well we got back together and in January she said she was like three months pregnant. By this time we were already engaged and...

New construction counter top idea needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi y'all. I am new to this site and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. I am hoping that some creative soul out there will be able to enlighten me with a great idea. My husband and I re did our kitchen 4 years ago. About 4 months ago, we took out a wall that had 2 pocket doors that...

View more questions Search