Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samc9971 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Old compression nut and compression sleeve
    We have a shut off valve with a slow leak, about a teaspoonful every 10 hours. I want to replace the valve but the copper pipe to which it's attached is too short not allowing me to cut off the old compression sleeve.

It's to my understanding that I may use the old compression nut and compression sleeve. If I do this, what are the chances that I will encounter problems? Is there any chance that the new valve (connected with the old compression nut and compression sleeve) will fly off when the water is fully turn on? Any help is appreciate. Sc.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Where is your leak, normally we use the old nut and the sleeve, if you really need to replace you have to buy the pullerto remove the nut and the sleeve and use the new ones, see the image, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Before removing the angle stop make sure you shut off the water to angle valve, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Chances are 50/50 that you will be able to reuse the nut and furrel nut. Or, take it off with wrench as posted by afaroo. Just be careful so you don't damage the pipe during furrel sleeve removal.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Other suggestion to use a sharkBite coupling, good Luck.

John

Aug 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Afaroo and Milo, thank you both very much. The leak seems to come from the handle of the valve.

Any idea whether there's a chance the valve will come loose if I use the old sleeve and nut once the full water pressure is turned on? Thanks again. Sc.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Hello Samc,

This will from the packing seal of stem, shut off the water to the angle valve, loos the nut, remove the stem and repace the seal, I will personaly recommend to replace the angle valve it is cheap and very easy to replace, see the image, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Aug 3, 2008, 03:44 PM
    BTW, John, do you know where I can buy a pullerto? Available at Home Depot or Lowe's? Thanks again. Sc.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 04:15 PM
    You can buy the puller at an plumbing supply, HD and Lowe's per sure, try to replace the compression angle valve with out replacing the nut and the sleeve, Like Milo says chances are 50/50 try it first, good luck,Thanks.

John

Aug 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Many thanks, John. Tentatively, I am thinking of buying that tool then try to use the old sleeve and nut. If that fails to work properly I will try to remove the oldies using the tool. Sc.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 04:50 PM
    How old is your angle valve?
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Make sur to Shut off the water to angle valve before you replace it, Thanks.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Sam...

If leak is at the handle (as stated in post#6) then you should be able to tighten the PACKING NUT and that should be all that you need to do... see picture below.

Here, you grab the body of the valve with a pair of pliers and hold against yourself as you use another pair of pliers (or similar tool) to tighten the packing nut about a 1/2 turn or so.

If that doesn't fix leak then replace valve as recommended using the old nut and ferrule... should not blow off or anything scary like that. Just be sure not to OVERTIGHTEN the old nut/ferrule and should be OK.

Worst case, it leaks a bit and need to pull the nut and ferrule using the handle puller posted by afaroo.

Let us know how it goes...

MARK
    Attached Images

Aug 3, 2008, 06:48 PM
    John, the value is about 20 years old and it's one of those that connected to the toilet tank. Again thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. Sc.

Aug 3, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Mark, you have provided answers that I was looking for; I am much more confident now about fixing the leak. One more question... as was mentioned in an earlier respond to John, my valve is 20 years old and the handle knob appears to made of plastic with no screw showing. How does one removes the knob to access the packing nut? Does one simply pull it off or what? Many thanks for offering much sought after info. Sc.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Sam,

Go to your local home depot or lowe's buy the angle valve (compression valve) as I posted to you early, Shut off the water to the angle valve remove the old one, don't be scared use the old compression nut and sleeve install the new valve and tightened your done, the worst will be if it leaks then you will have to buy the puller to replace the old nut and sleeve but I am sure you will not need it yet, if you need any help don't hesitate to ask, I am sure massplumber agree with, Good Luck.

John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Hi Sam..

If you look at the picture I posted at post #13 you can see the adjustable wrench on the packing nut. In other words, you don't need to remove or even touch the handle to access and TIGHTEN the packing nut... just be sure to hold against yourself with another wrench on the body of the valve with another wrench before tightening the nut.

Hope that made better sense!

The valve you have there is 20 years old, however, and it may in fact just be best to replace entire shutoff... try to tighten packing nut first though... bet that works.

I run into this a lot removing toilets and lavatories so much... always have to tweak on the packing nut (holding against myself) just to be sure of no call backs.

Let us know if need more info.

MARK

Aug 4, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Thanks again, John and Mark; will report back on outcome when I work on it. Sc.

Aug 4, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Mark, ref post 17... not sure why the configuration of the valve you posted on 13 differs from the 2 that we have, the one that leaks and the one that I bought over the weekend. Your photo (post 17) shows a wrench gripping a nut around the shaft of the knob handle whereas the ones we have have ONLY 2 exposed nuts - one for connecting tube to toilet and the other for connecting tubing from wall to valve.

The new valve that I bought has a small screw holding the handle knob. When I removed the handle knob and the handle casing? what appears to be the packing nut is exposed. As said previously, the leaky valve has no EXPOSED nut to make the adjustment that you recommended and it appears that I have to remove the handle know to get to the packing nut. So I guess I have to try to pull it off gently (if this is the correct way).

At this point I plan on handle the leak this way (I think you will agree is the correct approach):
    1. Find the packing nut and tighten it; if leak stops, I am done (Mark, I fully agree that if it works, it's a very good 1st option).
    2. If not, I will use the old sleeve and nut to install a new valve.
    3 If option2 failed, I will try to remove oldies by tool.
    4. If tool failed to remove oldies, find some a way (if possible) to cut off the wall pipe (to remove old sleeve) and still left it long to install new nut...

One thing is certain... without you guys input I would be unsure how best to approach this problem. Mucha gracias! Sc. (PS - Pardon this rather long post)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Hi Sam...

Sounds like a perfect approach to this all in all.

I'm not sure about the handle with no screw.. but doesn't matter much. Try the steps you outlined.

Let us know what happens!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compression fittings not in far enough [ 1 Answers ]

I just fixed my old dishwasher line and I had to cut out a leak. I had enough copper tubing to just reroute the remaining tubing into the valve stop. However, it is an older house and the outside diameter of the tubing was a bit wider than what we use now. I got the nut on as far as I could and...

No compression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2.4L twin overhead cam, the engine does not start, I did a compression test and they were as follows, from battery 156, 0, 165, 175... and It seems that every time I crank the engine I have oil splashing or such at the back of my engine bay... Any help or tips would be great thanks.

Compression vs. Solder [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. I have seen bits and pieces to the answer to my question in other posts, but not sure I have the complete answer, so I will ask it directly... Transitioning from copper to (C)PVC, are compression junctions adequate and/or recommended, or is it advisable to use soldered connections? ...

DVD Compression [ 5 Answers ]

Unsure if this is the correct place for this question, but better here than nowhere. I have a Panasonic NV-GS11EB Digital Video Camera. This used 1 hour (standard use) mini cassettes. I have one such cassette with around 45 minutes of film. When I download this it creates a file anywhere...

View more questions Search