Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TLAspec04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Texas: Debt Collection Law Suit & Statute of Limitations
    I live in Texas. I have an outstanding debt for collection of an unpaid balance on a car loan.

The car was totaled in a wreck and the insurance company paid all but ~$6k. The car loan company (Chrysler Financial) sent me a letter on July 9, 2004, requesting me to pay the remaining balance in full within 10 days or I'd be sent to collections. Chrysler did not send it to collections until Nov 11, 2004.

The reason I've explained this is because the SoL (Statute of Limitations) in Texas is 4 years on "bringing suit" for "debt" (Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code - Section 16.004. Four-Year Limitations Period). I've also researched when the start of the SoL would occur on a debt and so far what it states is at the "cause of action" on the debt. I referenced what I'm thinking is the "cause of action" in my prior paragraph, July 9, 2004 plus 10 days.

I received a notice from the courts this last week, on a "Prove Up" hearing on August 12, 2008, signed July 30, 2008. I am assuming I am being sued but I have not received any notification of a lawsuit or judgement of a lawsuit.

My questions are:
    1. Am I correct in my interpretation of the SoL on the start date of the SoL?
    2. If I've already been 'sued' but no judgment has been made yet, has the SoL run out and can the lawsuit be invalid now?
    3. If the debt collection agency's law suit is considered valid and within the SoL then what happens if judgement is passed? Can I still settle outside of court?

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations in small claims cout in Texas is? I went through a divorce 4 years ago and was not able to pay some of my credit cards. I have one that closed a few years ago, but yesterday I was served with a small claims suit. Last year, the credit card...

Statute of Limitations in Texas on an old debt [ 8 Answers ]

Over 5 years ago my wife was talked into co-signing a loan for a wayward son to buy a motorcycle. He wrecked the bike and never finished paying for it. The finance company repo'ed the bike and now a collection agency is calling my wife to collect on the debt. No payments have been made on the loan...

Statute of limitations for collection [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to calculate the statute of limitation for collection. I have heard that you must begin with the beginning of your delinquency, not the last payment that was made. Help

British Columbia Statute of Limitations for Civil Suit [ 0 Answers ]

I am a resident of BC, Canada. I am owed $100,000 in salary. This is a bonus payment that was acknowledged by the company, in writing, as earned. They have ignored my final invoices. Is there a timeframe in which I must file suit or lose right to claim?

Collection agency and statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help please. I have been contacted by a collection agency trying to collect on a debt 9 years ago with ICBC regarding some vehicle insurance. I was also contacted approx. 7 years ago by another collections agency for the same reason and I did send them numerous post dated cheques to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.