Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Software recommendation.
    I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare.

My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website.

Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover my organizational needs, but seems I've got to move up to FileMaker Pro at about $150 to be able to use them on a website.

I'm leaning toward FileMaker Pro... but does anyone have any other apps I should check into?

Thanks!

PS: I was hoping to spend under $100... so certainly don't want to look at anything more expensive than FileMaker.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Do you have Office Pro? Or Office Standard? The pro version comes with Access.

Another you can look at is Alpha 5. I'm not sure about My Database, but I think its more a flat file database. If so, then the only thing it adds to Excel is the ability to create forms.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:55 AM
    I've got the standard... but come to think of it, I might have Pro at home on the wife's computer. I'll check it out.

Is Access easy to learn for someone who's never used db software?

Yikes, I see Alpha5 is $349!. and I see that the cheaper FileMaker got better reviews at PCMag.

Apr 12, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hmm Alpha is that high? I thought they might have lowered their pricing to compete. No wonder so few know about them.

The best thing about Access is that it can be used on several levels. There are a load of wizards and templates that can get even the inexperienced up and running quickly. On the other hand, there is an enormous amount of power that can be used with VBA. Filemaker is similar, but I've never used it so can't speak about the specifics. I do know that Access is the most supported database out there. There are loads of Access help sites, books and other resources.

The key to database design, no matter what product you use, is making sure its normalized properly. There are loads written about normalization on the WEB.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Hi, rickj,
    The answer, in my opinion, to using Access, setting up your own tables, calculations, charts, printing, etc, has a steep learning curve.
    I used Excel many years ago to set up a very involved computerized program for warehouse inventories, keeping records of "incoming" and "outgoing" materials.
    Then tried Access, used by the company which bought out my old company. The manual, at that time, was about 2 inches thick. It will take some learning... not saying you can't do it... it's just really involved.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Do you have Office Pro? Or Office Standard? The pro version comes with Access.

Another you can look at is Alpha 5. I'm not sure about My Database, but I think its more a flat file database. If so, then the only thing it adds to Excel is the ability to create forms.
    Tried to comment on your post, but got a pop up. I agree with Scott, Microsoft Access is definitely the way to go.

Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 AM
    I've been an Access Devloper for about 10 years now and have been developing databases for over 20. As I said in my answer Access can be used on several levels. If you use it as an end user and use the wizards, then Access is easy to learn and use. Its only when you get into the more advanced functions and customizations that the learning curve steepens. I've seen people develop very nice little apps for their personal use with no prior experience.

I wonder why it matters how thick a manual is? The manual's thickness speaks to its comprehensiveness, not necessarily the program's complexity.

Another program you might look at is Lotus Approach. You can get it as part of Lotus SmartSuite (similar to Office). Because Office grabbed all the market share, Smartsuite (which is every bit as good as Office) can be gotten for very little cost.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 06:35 AM
    HI,
    "I wonder why it matters how thick a manual is?"
    In the previous answer, this quote above, and question was asked.
    A manual to a digital Camera might be about 100 pages, about 1/8 inch thick. The manual for Paint Shop Pro is about 1 inch thick, with a Quick Quide and Quick Reference, different manuals, less thick.
    The reason I mentioned the thickness was simple; more complex programs or equipment have thicker User Manuals than less complex ones!

Apr 12, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    HI,
    "I wonder why it matters how thick a manual is?"
    In the previous answer, this quote above, and question was asked.
    A manual to a digital Camera might be about 100 pages, about 1/8 inch thick. The manual for Paint Shop Pro is about 1 inch thick, with a Quick Quide and Quick Reference, different manuals, less thick.
    The reason I mentioned the thickness was simple; more complex programs or equipment have thicker User Manuals than less complex ones!
    I disagree that there is a cause and effect relationship there. A thicker manual can just mean that the software author has packed more into it. Maybe they use a lot of larger screen shots and larger type. Maybe, as is in the case with Access, there are a lot more features involved. Doesn't necessarily mean the program is harder to learn. As a point in fact, a comprehensive Access manual would include a list of all the functions that can be used in formulas. Since this list is extensive, the manual would be thick. That doesn't mean Access is more complex.

Yes it MIGHT mean a program is more complex, but its not a guarantee and the size of a manual should not be used in that matter. That's like saying; my head is bigger, ergo I must be smarter. Dinosaurs had huge heads and tiny brains.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 08:03 AM
    I thank you all for your input. Let's not turn this into a debate!

Apr 12, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Its not a debate, its correcting misleading information.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Hi, rickj,
    You are welcome, and I agree.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 08:12 AM
    The information was not misleading at all. Thanks for the input folks, Ill close on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App [ 13 Answers ]

It must include auto scroll for web pages. I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid. Thanks!

Book Recommendation [ 10 Answers ]

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I think its one of the most important books I have ever read in my lifetime (and I'm an avid reader). I would strongly urge everyone to run out and get a copy (its in paperback or at your local library) and read it immediately.

Need a Simple Guestbook Recommendation [ 3 Answers ]

I've been burned before: A site wiped out from my stupidity in not updating the script. I recently installed VIPER Guestbook: I like it's simplicity and features, but now see that it will no longer be updated... so don't want to keep it. Can anyone recommend a simple, secure Guestbook...

Downloading music - Recommendation for safe sites. Will not use much! [ 20 Answers ]

:cool: :) I would like to know if someone can recommend a safe site to download just one song? I will not be using the site much, I just want to get one song off a safe site.Is this possible these days? It might be possible that from time to time I may to use it but that will be rarely. I...

View more questions Search