Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jinxz Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Food invention (registration of a food product?)
    I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please help, many thanks!
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Try the website LegalZoom: Online Legal Document Services: LLC,Divorce,Wills,Incorporation & More They do things like contracts, trademarks, forming corporations... I don't know that this is the answer, but it might be.

Aug 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Alrighty, I shall check, but I think the Divorce part won't help LOL, but Thanks, I shall check!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Are you in the United States? If not, what country, please? The ways to go about this will vary depending on the laws of the country.

If you would let us know what kind of food this is, that would also help us to help you the best here. It might not need to be approved at all other than by the store that will market it for you. Or, it may need the approval of a government agency of some kind depending on what it is made of and the other food processing products that might be used to make it.

If in the U.S. the following sites might be the ones where you might find the information that you need. But again, it does depend on what it is made of and the other food processing products that might be used to make it.

U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page

United States Department of Agriculture - Home

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Its just a simple junk food snack. I live in Canada, would I even be able to make some money if I proposed my product to the company and they accepted it? If it is not approved, couldn't they steal the idea if they declined and say it was their idea. All I have is my brain for proof, I don't have the material to make my product so that's why I want to propose it to the company. They would produce my idea basically. Also I searched and the company I was wanting to offer it and they produce the ingredients needed already and I haven't found my idea on the market on Google.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 01:54 AM
    What is it made of though? That is the crux of the issue here.

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Basically, marshmallows! Yum
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 01:50 AM
    You could take it to a store, present how you will package it and see if they would sell it for you. As I have already mentioned in a post above, it might not need any approval other than the store that will be selling it for you. I don't know about the laws in Canada concerning this, but it might be possible that you will need some sort of certification and/or license from the Canadian government in order to market your product as to its safety for the general populace to consume, and the way that you prepare/make it might also be an issue.

Canada Food Producers License - Google Search

Aug 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
    The thing is I just have a idea, not the actual product or the packaging. I was thinking the company could make it because they sell the ingredients already. I would need special equipment for it which I don't have.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Thanks! Now we know that you aren't really prepared with everything that you need to be able to produce and market your product, but you could be, if you knew everything about what you need to do.

What I would recommend doing, is that you go to a grocery store and ask to speak with a manager. You could tell him or her that you want to know all about the process of how products get purchased by the store to be sold and get placed on the shelves in order to be purchased by the customers. You could also do the same thing by visiting a factory that processes/makes food and/or candy.

When I was a kid, a friend and I were very curious as to what went on in a building that had formerly been a school but was then being used for something else. We knocked on a door and asked to have a tour of building and what went on in the building. The man was very glad to show us around and answer our questions.

It never hurts to ask if it is something that could be to help with you being educated about something! You just might get quite an education for free if you ask the right person!

Aug 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
    I shall try that! Thank you!
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz
    I shall try that! Thank you!
    That's great and you're welcome! All you have to do is go to the right sources in order to find the information that you need. In your case, you just need some education about what it takes to produce, package and market your product so that it meets the legal standards of where it is being marketed.

Speaking with people who actually are involved in doing those things is the best thing that you can do. Most likely, you will find people who will be willing to help you. All we had to do was knock on the door!

Like you, I have had dreams of the things that I have wanted to do. I am now living those dreams. But, it took an awful lot of raw experience and education in order for me to be doing that!

I wish you well in your endeavor for what you dream to do! :)
    TeePM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 04:26 AM
    Hi

I just read through your posts and am in a very similar situation. I have what I think is a great food product idea, but am unable to find a source to produce it. What did you do ultimately. Did you receive help or find a solution?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dry dog food. [ 2 Answers ]

Our five year old Poodle weighs 10 pounds and is reluctant to eat her dry dog food. I was wondering if anyone has solved the problem by adding or substituting wet dog food or by adding broth of some kind.

My dog won't eat his food [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rhodesian/Lab he's 13 months. I did the mistake mixing some table food with his dry food. Now he won't touch anything regardless of what I put in front of him. He snubs it. He's not lethargic, he's very active, his bowels are normal, he drinks plenty. How do correct this? Or should he see...

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

New food/old food/keep it the same or change? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat has been acting a little weird lately, over the past week we have noticed that he doesn't seem to be eating the same as he did. Over the last week he will get excited that its feeding time, then I put his bowl down for him and he will lick his meat until all the jelly? Is gone off the meat...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search