Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyisala20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 06:19 PM
    How to eat healthy and lose weight
    I'm trying to lose weight and do it right. I want to know what kind of food will help me lose weight and get all the nutrition I need.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Fill up on a wide variety of fruits and veggies... but watch out for dips as they can have plenty of hidden calories and fats in them. Eating foods as close to their natural state as possible is the ideal. Whole grains... not enriched or bleached, but actual 100% whole grains. You can find this in breads, cereals, and many pastas now. Cut back on most "white" foods... not as many nutrients for the calories. Get some protein at each meal... in the morning will help curb your appetite later on, as will some healthier choices of carbs. Having healthy snacks between meals will also help keep blood sugar levels fairly constant throughout the day. This can help you avoid binge eating or going over board on the goodies. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day as well, but do your best to avoid, or at least limit, empty calorie beverages, such as soda... tastes good, but has no nutritional value at all. Don't cut out fats completely... for example, some nuts now and then (particularily walnuts and almonds) can give you a good boost of many nutrients even though they may have a high fat content. Some fats are better than others... avoid trans fats, try and stick more with monosaturated and polysaturated fats. A good rule of thumb... read the label and look for no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 calories... along with good nutrient content. Watch for hidden sugars... high fructose corn syrup is one that shows up in many processed foods. The farther down the list of ingredients the better.
    If you prepare your own meals and snacks more, and eat out less you will have better control over what you eat and how it is prepared. Have some easy, healthy snacks with you throughout the day to avoid vending machines or unhealthy snack choices if you get hungry while out and about.
    If you feel your diet could be better as you are working at improving it, consider a multivitamin as extra insurance.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
    If you really want to lose weight... and be serious about it, you're going to need to change your diet. First off... need some info about you. Male/female... how old are you... are you physically fit to actually change diet/exercise?

First off, need to cut back on junk foods. I mean no chips, cookies, chocolate, candy, ice cream, etc. etc. etc. need to cut back.

Next, tailor your diet so that you eat better food.

Chicken breast
    Turkey
    Fish (I personally prefer tilapia... relatively cheap and makes it a better "dinner meal")
    Mixed vegetables
    Spinach

I just listed the things that are currently in my fridge. Out of those things, you can make yourself a decent meal... just be a little creative about it. As far as snacks...

Almonds
    Fresh/dried fruits
    Trail mix (REAL... trail mix with nuts and dried fruits... not popcorn and M&Ms)
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter

Are some good snack foods. I usually eat these in between meals (2 - 3 hours apart)

Of course, you have to also adapt an exercise routine. Walking/cycling/jogging/running are all very good and will help you lose weight... 30 min a day three times a week.
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 7, 2008, 03:57 AM
    The above answers are good. Remember that regular exercise will keep your metabolism up which will burn more calories in general throughout the day. Try to get most of your protein from plant sources and heavily cut back on meat (fish is the best meat option). Cut red meat out entirely.

If you're eating the right things (lots of vegetables, grain, and legumes), you do not need to reduce how much you eat. A diet of proper things is a diet of abundance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

Lose 30 pounds fast but healthy and no pills! [ 1 Answers ]

Im young I am 170 lbs and at the end of the month I'm going to Hawaii and I want to have a great bikini body. Als I want to look good next year at school. I want to lose 30 lbs of fat in 30 days, but not entirely sure if I can! I don't by the food in the house so I can't really choose the best...

Wanting to lose weight but stay healthy [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting married in April and I need to lose at least 20 pounds: not only for the wedding but for other reason as well. I have tried everything that I know and it either did not work or I got sick from it. How can I lose weight and actually lose it and stay healthy and not get sick?:confused:

Lose Weight, Gain Muscle the healthy way. [ 9 Answers ]

Aloha, My name is Grace from Hawaii, and I was wondering If anyone had a good way to lose weight and gain Muscle at the same time... the healthy way. My area of work requires a fit body, well only If you require success. I just want to feel good About the way I look. Can anyone help? ...

Healthy weight ? [ 3 Answers ]

Is 70 kilos a healthy weight for a woman?

View more questions Search