Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snotbubble Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Teacher dress code
    I got this online for a female teacher's dress code.

* Dresses – hose should be worn if the dress does not fall below the knee
    * Nice slacks – no tennis shoes
    * Midriff tops should not be worn
    * Skirts – length must fall no higher than the top of the knee
    * Choose neutral-toned hosiery
    * Shoes should be closed heel or pump style
    * Make-up should be subtle
    * Hair should be natural looking
    * Perfume should be used sparingly

I can dress nice, and I get why they have their rules. Just going through my closet in my mind: I wouldn't be able to wear my bright colored tights, and could I wear cordaroy pants?

My 5th grade teacher always wore tennis shoes. She was the only one though- maybe she had a foot problem (she was old)?and I had a jr. high eng. Teacher who wore bright green platform shoes that looked like they belonged on a hooker and she'd wear them just a few times a year- they made her happy and she was always spunky when she wore them.

Man. It seems like no matter where you work, people always want to suck the life out of you.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I wonder what year that dress code was written!? WOW! I'm surprised the list didn't say that you must wear your hair in a bun, and wear glasses that sit on the rim on your nose! LOL!

What grade are you going to be teaching? What subject? Are you going to be teaching at a school where the children have uniforms?

I would think as long as you dress in something comfortable and professional, you should be fine. I'm sure you wouldn't show up in a micro mini and fish nets would you? Lol. Dress a little more conservative than you would when you go out on the weekend of course, (no cleavage, no thigh high boots... you know, just outfits that aren't going to distract from your teaching!) I would say dress in what you are comfortable with, but keep it toned down, while looking professional, at the same time!

Good Luck!
    redartace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 04:36 AM
    It makes sense that teachers dress the part as a matter of professionalism and to help reinforce the notion of respect. Obviously the gym teacher and studio teachers have different dress needs from a math teacher.
    Therefore a dress code should allow for the safety of the teacher to lessen the chance of injury while on the job. Must wear material that is durable, stain resistant and protective of the skin. Dressed for safety means that consideration for not only chemicals that will be encountered on a daily basis but also must evaluate the appropriateness of the personal protective equipment that could be used.(safety goggles,mask,aprons) OSHA standard for basic safety dress is to wear denim or heavy cotton pants because these materials are best suited for shedding sparks, flying shards of metal, chips of wood, polishing compounds, ceramic dust and glazes.
    Good judgment and common sense has to be used. Clothing should be compatible with a professional and safety conscious work environment. It will be modest and conservative in style. These teachers need to dress in a manner that is professional and distinguishable from attire of students.

-no blue jeans
    -no t-shirts with logos
    -no high heels

Capri length pants, khakis, colored denim jeans, and sneakers are acceptable.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2008, 03:38 PM

You will likely find different school districts and even different schools will have variations as to what the teachers will wear. Certainly you want to maintain a professional appearance and you have to be practical as well... for example, many elementary school teachers will spend some time sitting on the floor with their students.
    Some schools with have casual Fridays or School Spirit Days on Fridays where teachers do wear jeans with a school t-shirt or poloshirt.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 04:16 PM

With so many young attractive teachers out there student's being attracted to their teachers is a major problem. Some of these teachers have acted on that attraction.

I think that a professional dress code is a very good idea. Non sexy, professional business attire. You are teaching the next generation, and showing that you care about your body and the way you portray yourself is an important lesson.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1989 honda civic. (code 4)crank angle sensor.(code 8) tdc position sensor [ 0 Answers ]

The car idles randomly after warm up.I check the ecu for codes and it gives 4 crank angle sensor and 8 tdc position sensor. I did a search and one of the ad posted by a guy in Canada says that he had to get part from different vehicles until he got all of them to work properly. Will I be able to...

Formal Dress Code [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I've been invited to attend an awards ceremony and the dress code is mentioned as formal. I live in a middle eastern country and my parents don't really approve me wearing a dress. Would it be appropriate to wear a long skirt dress in black or a saree? :confused: Or would it better if I...

Some beaches need a dress code. [ 2 Answers ]

Dress code [ 12 Answers ]

If I am a woman who does not feel comftable wearing closed clothing, can I wear shirts that are open but only show a little bit of cleavage? I am not that big so the shirts only make me feel more attractive.

View more questions Search