Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snotbubble Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Can teachers drink?
    If I became a first or second grade teacher, What kind of lifestyle restrictions would I have?

I have heard of a teacher getting fired because she worked at hooters when she was younger, and a girl not graduating with a license to teach because she had a beer in her hand on her myspace profile.

I mean I'm a good moral person and I love kids, but can't I go out every now and then and have some fun?

And is this different from high school teachers? My cousin's art teacher displays her work at galleries, where they serve wine and she was drinking while her students were there, and no one cared. And she called my cousin a dumbass for not going to her exibit, joking around with him- nobody minded. And I've heard my h.s. teachers cuss occasionally.
    MaGiC_DaN90 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Hmm, I'm not a teacher, but H.S. teachers do get it easier than elem. Teachers lifestyle wise.
    Because, well, my teachers (I'm still in H.S.) do go out to drink every once in a while, talking about it in side conversations, and as a young adult, I understand that. But if you want to teach elementary kids, the going out and partying and drinking should be kept most secret so that you can be a good role model for your students! Hope this helps!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Most likely it will depend on the school, public or private. Teachers drink, live together without being married. You as noted don't bring personal life into the school
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
    >>>>>I have heard of a teacher getting fired because she worked at hooters when she was younger, and a girl not graduating with a license to teach because she had a beer in her hand on her myspace profile.

As Fr_Chuck said, it will depend on what sort of school. Private schools can set their own rules. You would not get fired from a public school simply because you worked at Hooters when you were younger.
    Certainly teachers, especially elementary school teachers, are held to a higher standard than the general public. Their behaviour outside of school can be grounds for being spoken to, but unless it was something illegal or considered immoral, they would not get fired for it. Teachers just starting are in a probationary period, however, and will find it important to be even more aware of how something might be perceived and who might take notice.
    Just as an example: You can go out dancing, you can go to a club and have a few drinks... the line gets drawn if someone is arrested for drunk driving, public indecency, etc.. You can be sure, if you are a teacher and such information gets out, the public will be made aware of it! Many areas now even have any discipline action against a teacher as public information.
    By the way, I teach third grade... and love it! If you enjoy working with kids, it is a wonderful profession... :)
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 4, 2008, 08:35 AM
    I am an elementary school teacher. First of all, the firing would depend on if you had tenor or not. Before you have tenor, they can really make you life hell, and you really have to keep EVERYTHING on the DL. As a teacher, you're supposed to be a role model for students. Of course if you're of age you can go out and have a few drinks... but remember, don't drink and drive... be responsible... don't get waste... don't let parents see you in that form. I live and work in the same community so I have to be super careful of where I go out at night. Don't let your dreams of being a teacher be crushed by one story you heard. Teaching is by far the most rewarding job there is. Just remember to be a responsible adult when you go out at night and keep your personal life personal, and your work life at work. And always remember... people at work TALK... so don't always trust everyone and tell everyone your personal business... dont learn that one the hard way. Good luck with your teaching career... you're going to LOVE IT!! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Dance
    I am an elementary school teacher. First of all, the firing would depend on if you had tenor or not. Before you have tenor, they can really make you life hell,
    I have to wonder about a teacher that doesn't know how to spell tenure. Tenure is VERY important to a teacher and it boggles my mind that a teacher wouldn't know how to spell it correctly.

To the OP.
    Teachers sign a contract, many contracts include a morals clause that may restrict what a teacher can do in their private lives. I doubt, however, if having a couple of drinks in a social setting away from your students would have an effect on employment.

Aug 4, 2008, 08:55 AM
    OK relx cmputr expert... im stll in bed chillin because its smmer vaca... so ill mispll whteva I wnt an you'll stll be able to read it because that's how the englsh laang works... wow!! This is a friggin forum not a prof. docmnt that I shuld hve to prof read... relax... stp being the SPELLING POLICE... Thank you... Have a nice day working... I'll enjoy sitting by my pool... :)

Aug 4, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Actually, while this is a forum, and not a professional document, there is a stated policy against typing in chatspeak or other shorthand.

I usually don't comment on spelling, I'm guilty of typos as much as the next person. maybe more. But your misspelling wasn't a typo. And to spell that specific word wrong is very surprising for a teacher. For me personally, a teacher, especially an elementary school teacher should know better than to use chatspeak. Most teacher's I have talked to decry the degradation of the language from chatspeak.

So continue to claim to be a teacher, I'm not sure how many will believe you.

Aug 4, 2008, 10:32 AM
    BTW... it's BELIEVE... I before e... except after c... that's the rule... I guess you were absent that day in school... it's okay

Aug 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Like I said, I'm not immune to typos. I seem to have a dyslexia with typing several words. For example I almost always type whihc instead of which and believe is another I frequently mistype. There are several others. Why I consistently mistype (not misspell) these certain words I don't know. But that's very different from a total misspelling of the word. If I called the main circuitboard of a computer a fatherboard I would expect people to question my qualifications as a computer expert because motherboard is the correct term. If I referred to the database concept of normalization as regularization people would have a right to question my qualifications as a database expert.

So a teacher that referred to tenure as tenor, is going to have a hard time getting people to believe that they are a teacher.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
    To get back to the original question:

I am a teacher of middle school and high school students. Most environments do not make you sign any moral contract, however it is vital that you keep your personal and professional life separate. You can drink and have fun with friends, but if in a public place, you should be mindful of your career. I have been to wine functions where parents have been, have shared a glass of wine with the parents, but made sure that I always acted appropriately.

Everything in moderation, but if you feel then need to indulge, I find it best of you do that at home. Or at the home of a good friend, away from the public eye.

On a side note: As a teacher I do not believe in tenure... I think that it is an unneeded safetly net. If a teacher is good at their job, then they do not need to worry about losing it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 02:57 AM
    snotbubble agrees: woah that would be awkward to drink with the parents! Have you personaly had any problems with parents or administration?

There is a difference between getting crazy drunk and having a glass of wine socially. I was at a benefit for the children's hospital in my city and the parents were there. We tasted wines together from wineries in our area. I was not doing shots, slamming drinks, or going crazy. I was acting in a civilized adult manner. Teachers are still people.

I fear that when people think of drinking they think of the binge drinking that many pertake of in college. That is not the case, teachers can drink in public places, but they need to do so with moderation. I have never run the risk of being drunk in a place where a parent or student might see me. In my opinion that is just asking for trouble.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 03:36 AM
    >>>>snotbubble agrees: yeah, that makes sense to me and I see nothing wrong with that. As a teacher, Do you go out? Have you had any problems with work (getting in trouble)?

It's never been an issue for me as I'm not into clubbing and such. I have had co-workers who are, but they have not had any problems. Oh, you hear some interesting tidbits about things that go on, but they are sensible about it and don't let it effect their work.

You can get an idea of what is expected by checking out the website for the school district you may work in and also do a search on the "code of ethics" for teachers in your state. The main point that comes across is that you are expected to behave in a professional manner when out in public. As I said previously, right or wrong, teachers are often held to a higher standard and expected to stand on a higher moral ground than the general public. When a teacher really messes up, it often makes the news and can be quite the scandal... :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Isabelle disagrees: not acuate at all. In some schools the moral contract is unspoken. But well known

Please read my post again... I said in some schools you do not sign a contract. Every teacher has a moral obligation that goes unspoken. It is part of teaching... Could you point out to me what is not accurate about my post. Teachers DO need to be mindful of their career choice. They DO need to keep their personal and professional life separate.

Other then that the rest of the post is about me. Unless you know me you cannot disagree with the things that I have done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Former Teachers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former...

For current teachers! [ 6 Answers ]

Since I was a kid, I wanted to become a teacher and if there are some teachers on this forum, I would like to hear from you. :) Your general opinion/thoughts about your job as a teacher. Thank you!

New People, New Teachers, New Everything [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I really need help with middle school. New People, New Teachers, New Everything! How do you stay organized?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!

Burned-out teachers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello How can improve the causes of burned-out teachers.. I would like to help me quickly.. about this subject.. if you give me pages from entrant about this subject.. I'ii welcome I'll waiting..

View more questions Search