Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 2, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Religion Related Discussions
    In topic "Atheists. Why "religious" forums?" the originator degraded her own topic with her negative personal comments, reason for the Admin to close it.

But the goal of her topic question remains interesting : Why is this specific "board" called "Religious Discussions"?
    Why not Religion Related Discussions?? Let's discuss this, to see if we can ask Admin to consider renaming this board !

There are 4 Member Discussions boards :
    - Current Events
    - The Lounge
    - Other Member Discussions
    - Religious Discussions

The last board is for discussions on everything that is connected or related with religion.
    And just as any specific religious view is related to religion, the absence of religion is just as well related to religion. Not any real difference there. This is NOT the in-official babble-box of any religious group (as some Christians seem to think). That has been clearly established by now. So what have (some) people here to moan about the use of this board? Or about non-theists being present here and stating their opinions on topics? Or post their own topics? As long as people keep to the board rules , who do some individuals think they are to "suggest" that people of another world view should be excluded from here? The present lack or poverty of theist argumentation should be a reason for theists to improve their skills. Not to change the rules...

Why shouldn't "Religious Discussions" not be renamed into Religion Related Discussions

PLEASE stay on topic this time, and refrain from name calling!!

:rolleyes:

·
    ScottRC Posts: 205, Reputation: 0

Aug 2, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Why shouldn't "Religious Discussions" not be renamed into Religion Related Discussions
    Either way, it's fine by me... I think all that needs to be done is make sure that everyone knows that the board is open to all.

No matter what you name it, there are still going to be some people who think they can bully those who don't have the same faith as they do... all we can do is remind people that this is a public forum and all should have the right to post their opinions.
    -

Aug 2, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRC
    Either way, it's fine by me.... I think all that needs to be done is make sure that everyone knows that the board is open to all.
    I fully agree with that!! Open to all, and open to all views!!

:)

·
    ScottRC Posts: 205, Reputation: 0

Aug 2, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Open to all, and open to all views !!!
    AMEN! ;)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Yep. All views, discussions and opinions related to religion on that board are acceptable as long as other people and views are not ridiculed or othewise demeaned.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
    I think the name's fine. I think it's fairly clear as is.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Because it's clear to the majority of the people on this site what that board is intended for, and re-naming it is purely semantics. So next time someone complains that a non-Christian is on the "Religious Discussions" board, point out that this is a discussion board, and a discussion is currently taking place. Religious affiliation doesn't matter. If they continue to pester, ignore them. Don't feel the troll.

Beyond that, people need to remember this is an open site - anyone can post in any thread they want to. The plumbing board doesn't say "NON-PLUMBERS FORBIDDEN", and neither does any other board. All threads, and all boards are open to all members; we just have to remember to stay on topic and remain respectful. That goes for religious thread, plumbing, gardening, home improvement, law...
    -

Aug 2, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    .... as long as other people and views are not ridiculed or othewise demeaned.
    I assume you point here at the aggressive personal attacks I too frequently see posted here by creationists like sassyT and co.
    Fine that you agree with the idea that this board is open to all.

:)

·
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 11:39 AM

·
    I don't think it needs renaming just a little bit of adjusting by those who post on these threads.

For example I follow a religion and I do take part in some discussions,but I try to refrain from saying things which could be taken as rude or demeaning to the other faiths.

I love discussing/explaining anything regarding my own religious views,but what happens when answering questions on the "religious discussion" board is that, some take it to heart and think that everyone's views are up for a debate,which is where things tend to go wrong.

By reading the others views and then stating one's own should be all right,but to take it further and start name-calling and demeaning the others views/beliefs is where some go wrong.

Obviously I follow my faith because I take it to be the truth,which is not what the other person sees and I can understand that and I do not need to force the other person to take my views as truth,I just need the other person to understand what I am saying and that should be enough.

If we keep reminding ourselves of these things while on the religious discussion board things should be fine... and there sure isn't any need for change of board names.

I have had quite a good exchange of information with many atheists on this site in an old thread and it did go well for sometime... but then somewhere it all went wrong and I think the thread has been closed now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 12:09 PM
    I agree Firmy.

I too have had open, honest discussions with atheists on this site. I have made many friends on this site that are atheists, and we respect eachothers differing beliefs.

If all of us could respect and accept eachothers different beliefs it would be fine. Open discussion, not rudeness, bashing, mud slinging.

It is human nature to defend your beliefs, and goodness knows I've allowed myself to be dragged in to fights, and I have been unkind when doing so, and I'll give as good as I get. For that I apologize, I haven't learned to turn the other cheek. :(

As for renaming it, I don't know. I do know that I spent considerable time explaining to someone that the Religious discussion board is not just for Christians, but for everyone. That didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. It is a bit confusing to newbies, because the name "Religious Discussions" does imply that it's only for people who want to talk about religion.

If we all just treat others the way we want to be treated, then these discussion should go smoothly.

Peace :)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 02:03 PM
    That's a good idea Credendo. I like the description "Religion Related Discussions" because it is a very clear description. :)
    -

Aug 3, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    That's a good idea Credendo. I like the description "Religion Related Discussions" because it is a very clear description. :)
    May be a too clear description for management and for some members, dear Mary Sue !
    What is most important about this all is that we have now the statement by RickJ in post #5 that this board is open to all, and open to all views. At least that ends the (steer produce) view by some as if this board should have a special approach towards their Christian religious views.

Personally I would welcome the more correct board description "Religion Related Discussions", but I am already happy with post #5 by the Administrator !

All that is needed further is that some creationists start behaving now accordingly to the Administrator's instructions, i.e.

... "acceptable and as long as other people and views are not ridiculed or otherwise demeaned".

How significant that they have to be reminded of that...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
    All that is needed further is that some creationists start behaving now accordingly to the Administrator's instructions, i.e.

... "acceptable and as long as other people and views are not ridiculed or otherwise demeaned".

How significant that they have to be reminded of that...
    Once again you are judging an entire group based on a few people.

One thing I find very telling, a few of us had a wonderful conversation about our different points of view, atheists, and theists talking to each other about our differing beliefs, communicating with each other and accepting eachothers point of view. The thing I find telling, we were only able to do so because you weren't there Cred. What does that say?

Take your own words and direct them where they belong.
    -

Aug 3, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    ... we were only able to do so because you weren't there Cred. What does that say?
    It says that the reality is that it is your (unChristian) hatred for me and my views that drives you, and prevents you from doing that what you blame me for... If you can not communicate because of my posts, what real value and content have your thoughts in the first place?

:D :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

·
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 04:57 PM
    How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not Christian?

My point was, that without your hatred filled posts, your demeaning ways, we were able to have a rational, calm, kind, caring, mutually respectful discussion. When you come along it all goes south very fast.

I'm not the only one that has a problem with your posts. It has been noticed by many, in fact, that also came up in our conversation which each other. That it's not everyone, only one or two people that causes problems for the rest, your name came up as one of the problem causers.

You want open discussion, you have to stop being so demeaning and hateful. The fact that you can't do that proves to me and others that you just want to fight.
    -

Aug 3, 2008, 05:14 PM
    My point was ....
    Your problem is that your hatred for me forces you to post to me... All the rest of your post is nothing but steer waste...

:D ;) :o :rolleyes: :D

·
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I don't hate you Cred, I hate what you say, I hate the fact that you put down other people, put down Americans, put down Christians, and babble on and on about faith, not fact. That's what I hate. You, no, because you don't mean anything to me, I won't waste my emotions on you. I will put you in your place when you are being direspectful, but hate, no.
    -

Aug 3, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Alt, honey : you have a (mental?) problem that forces you to keep posting me ! All the rest of your post is nothing but steer waste !

·
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Alt, honey : you have a (mental?) problem that forces you to keep posting me ! All the rest of your post is nothing but steer waste !

·
    That's funny, a mental problem. :p

I find it amusing that you have to insult someone when you've been proven wrong and can't defend yourself.

Cred "honey" as for the steer waste, steer that in your direction, because that's what you dish out every time you post.

Ciao
    -

Aug 3, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Cred "honey" .... Ciao
    See : you can not stop yourself, you keep posting to me, and than you blame me for that...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

·

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search