Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aarin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Absorption Costing
    I'm stuck on this absorption costing question...
    Star Suede Shoe Company produced 100,000 pairs of shoes and sold 70,000 in its first year of operations. There was no Work In Progress Inventory at year end. Its costs for that year were as follows:
    -Direct Materials 441,000
    -Direct Labour 325,000
    -Variable Manufacturing Overhead 160,000
    -Variable Selling and Admin Expenses 225,000
    -Fixed manufacturing overhead 254,000
    -Fixed selling and admin expenses 220,000
    a)compute the cost of one unit if the company uses variable costing
    b)compute the cost of one unit if the company uses absorption costing

... I've seen examples of these types of questions, but they all have the selling price given. How do you go through the calculations without the sales? Help please :)
    Aarin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by circletoe
    Which part are you stuck on?
    I can't seem to figure out how to get the unit cost by variable costing or absorption costing without the selling price.

I thought for absorption costing you would add the total variable costs to total fixed manufacturing expenses divided by current sales, but that doesn't seem to give me the right answer. Variable cost should simply be the total of the variable costs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing an income statement under absorption costing and variable costing [ 5 Answers ]

Stonehenge Inc. a manufacturer of landscaping blocks, began operations on April 1 of the current year. During this time, the company produced 750,000 units and sold 720,000 units at a sales price of $9 per unit. Cost information for this period is shown below. Produciton costs Direct...

Absorption costing [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how to come up with the right answer. Could you please help? The Collins Corporation just started business in January of 2004. They had no beginning inventories. During 2004 they manufactured 12,000 units of product, and sold 10,000 units. The selling price of each unit was...

Absorption/direct costing [ 1 Answers ]

Which of the following is a true statement regarding absorption and/or direct costing? A) A firm can choose to use either absorption or direct costing for income tax purposes. B) A firm can choose to use either absorption or direct costing for financial reporting...

View more questions Search