Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpeek99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Is This phi in HIPAA?
    I noticed that my name and address is on my prescription bottles isn't this PHI?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 04:34 PM
    No it just looks like it is an option of the pharmacy

Prescription Label Requirements
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeek99
    I noticed that my name and address is on my prescription bottles isn't this PHI?

No, it is not - the pharmacy must also comply to laws concerning labelling pharmaceuticals. You also must be protected in the event you are ever stopped by the Police with drugs and have to prove that they are prescription and that they are yours.

This is not a violation because presumably you are the only non-professional who sees the prescription bottles - if the information is given to anyone else it has to come from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 12 Answers ]

Is it a HIPAA violation if I discussed a pt's care with her family? The mother had tried to kill herself and the daughter was her next of kin. She present when the care was rendered to her mom. All I said was "I was the one who started the IV on your mom" and my supervisor said I could get sued...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

If a supervisor notes that an individual is on maternity leave on their timesheet, is that a HIPAA violation?

Hipaa law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 part question regarding Hipaa law. First, let me give you the necessary background information. My husband and I are separated (not legally) and we reside in California. We are both in law enforcement, my husband being a supervisor and me being line staff. My husband is in charge of...

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

View more questions Search