Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ondverg Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Garage door power out
    A few months ago I was having electrical problems in my home. My son thought that it was being caused by the microwave oven, so he moved it to the garage. One day I wanted to heat something up quickly, so I went to the garage and plugged the microwave up to the same outlet that my washer and dryer is connected to and used it. Something must have went wrong, because a little while later, when I went to open the garage door, I found that the power to it was gone. The garage door light wouldn't come on and the sensors were out. I reset the breakers several times and my son and I replaced the switch that turns on the power to the garage door opener. Nothing has worked. There is a fuse box next to the breaker box outside, but I don't know what the fuses are for. While doing research on the internet, I found out that there may be a small fuse located in the circuit board. The lights in the garage still work and all of the outlets still work. The switch that my son and I replaced is located in the dining room, next to the door leading out to the garage. There is another switch next to it that controls the dining room light and it is working fine. I've seen information about pressing a red reset button on the GFC outlet, but I do not have this type of outlet. I am tired of letting my garage door up and down manually and would like to know if there is anything that I can do to resolve this problem without having to call a professional electrician. Oh yeah, I also found information on some of the sites that said to check the outlet that the opener is plugged into, but I can not locate it. Are garage door openers physically plugged into an outlet, or am I misunderstanding what I'm reading?

Thanks
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Do you have a manual "button" that operates the opener, or just the remote transmitter?

I had this happen, and had to replace some parts on the receiver circuit board.

It would still work with the wall switch, but not with the remote.

Not sure if this may be the problem you are having as well.

Yes, it should be plugged in to an outlet, unless it was hardwired into the house?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
    "but I can not locate it." Look directly above the opener, follow the cord to the outlet and test that outlet with a known lamp or tester.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Lost power to garage door - including remote [ 4 Answers ]

My garage door seems to have lost power somewhere. I don't have power from my remote in the garage, the keypad on the garage door, or either car remotes. I know I have power in the plug-in that it is connected to, but can't seem to figure out the problem - could a battery be out somewhere and...

View more questions Search