Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Empty apology for slavery?
    Surely you heard that the U.S. House passed H. Res. 194, apologizing for slavery and Jim Crow. Everyone feel better now? Of course an apology isn't enough is it? The resolution "expresses its commitment to rectify the lingering consequences of the misdeeds committed against African Americans under slavery and Jim Crow and to stop the occurrence of human rights violations in the future."

Does that open the door to reparations? "Eighty-nine percent of blacks believe the federal government should offer a combination of cash payments, debt forgiveness and social welfare programs to compensate for the devastating effects of slavery and racial segregation," according to a 2005 survey.

Go ahead, tell me why the U.S. should offer cash, debt relief and more to blacks in America.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I don't think they are even owed an apology. Slavery occurred in a different time and socio-political climate. If they could find a slave owner still alive, they should apologize. But reparations?? Give me a break. Why should people living now pay for or benefit from something that was accepted and legal in the past.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:35 AM
    An apology should be enough, it was a different generation after all.

By offering cash and debt relief it's going to open a hole can of worms.

They should rest at an apology and leave it at that
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Aug 1, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Also remember that the apology you are speaking of, and other such measures proposed in states such as Maryland, do not apply to slavery in general, just slavery that occurred when people from other places came to Africa and got involved in the slave trade. Slavery that occurred in Africa before this time, and all the other slavery throughout the world and down through the ages in other forms and places, is ignored. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to apologize to any people for slavery when that people did the same thing. It was a universal evil for a long time and continues to this day in various forms in some places.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I haven't heard yet, that their own people, who sold them into slavery to begin with, have apologized for anything?

Have they?

Our apology, should have followed the one by their own people.

I'll bet the ones that expect these reparations, or cash payments, also believe that if they receive such a gift, that the money comes from the government, and not from the rest of the population in the form of taxes confiscated for the purpose of redistribution.

What a crock!
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Aug 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Well the government gets its money from taxes, so the people pay if the government pays. If Congress, or any other legislative body, were to pass a reparations act, I think it would be struck down on due process, and perhaps other grounds. In our legal system, a person can't be penalized and made to pay for an act of wrongdoing unless it can be demonstrated that they caused the wrongdoing. And the person who is to receive compensation has to demonstrate that they have suffered a loss as a result of the wrongdoing.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Think about it. Affirmative action (reverse discrimination) IS reparation. Just how much do they think they are entitled to?!
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Aug 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't think they are even owed an apology. Slavery occurred in a different time and socio-political climate. If they could find a slave owner still alive, they should apologize. But reparations??? Give me a break. Why should people living now pay for or benefit from something that was accepted and legal in the past.
    Hi ScottGem, this is SkyGem. There is another thread in the Politics section entitled "Once He's In Office? Hold On to Your Wallets, Folks!" you might want to look at dealing with the same type of thing. So, ScottGem, hold on to your wallet because you'll be paying through the nose soon enough if Obama gets into office!

Don't Vote for Obama, The Most Complete Anti Obama website

http://justsaynodeal.com/

The Associates of Barack Obama

Hillary Grassroots Campaign

Welcome to WriteHillaryIn.com
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Aug 1, 2008, 06:04 PM
    I'm Irish and when my great grandparents came here they were treated worse than any other group of immigrants. Signs were put out saying 'Help Wanted - Irish need not apply'. Children were not allowed to play with Irish children. It took them 10 years living as outcasts before being recognized and finally accepted as the hard working, responsible people they were.

That's some real bad treatment.

I WANT AN APOLOGY TOO!
    (we can discuss reparations later)
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
    HR. 194 and my comments in bold.

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) acknowledges that slavery is incompatible with the basic founding principles recognized in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal;

Excellent. I agree. It's a fact that our proclaimed founding fathers only meant equality for anybody that looked like themselves.

(2) acknowledges the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow;

Good. I agree. But actually that's already done in every Jr. High and High School history class throughout America.

(3) apologizes to African Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow; and

Good. I agree. Easy enough! House of Representatives that means you. House of Reps start apologizing.

(4) expresses its commitment to rectify the lingering consequences of the misdeeds committed against African Americans under slavery and Jim Crow and to stop the occurrence of human rights violations in the future.

Fair. I agree. However the reparations in effect were affirmative action, although it covered many minorities, not just African Americans. Laws against discrimination have been on the books, so we shall all do our parts in upholding those laws for a healthy, vibrant American society.

Aug 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by purplewings
    I'm Irish and when my great grandparents came here they were treated worse than any other group of immigrants. Signs were put out saying 'Help Wanted - Irish need not apply'. Children were not allowed to play with Irish children. It took them 10 years living as outcasts before being recognized and finally accepted as the hard working, responsible people they were.

I WANT AN APOLOGY TOO!
    Yes. That falls under discrimination as well. Also, historically, there were many indentured slaves from Europe. BTW I eat potatoes and drink Irish whiskey occasionally to help toward your reparations. :)

Aug 1, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Thanks Bobby. It helps a lot to know you care that much. HuGs
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther
    Well the government gets its money from taxes, so the people pay if the government pays. If Congress, or any other legislative body, were to pass a reparations act, I think it would be struck down on due process, and perhaps other grounds. In our legal system,a person can't be penalized and made to pay for an act of wrongdoing unless it can be demonstrated that they caused the wrongdoing. And the person who is to receive compensation has to demonstrate that they have suffered a loss as a result of the wrongdoing.

Excellent point.

For those Americans whose ancestors did not own black slaves, why should they pay.

For those blacks, how are they going to prove their ancestors were slaves? Even if they could that was more than a century ago!

But this is our congress, forget about rising gas and food prices, privatized profits and socialized risk [ fannie and freddie], open borders, this is what congress can achieve before going on vacation. :cool:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by purplewings

I WANT AN APOLOGY TOO!

Just my opinion but I think there's a world of difference between slavery, indentured servants and forced labor and being outcasts and not accepted.

Aug 3, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Just my opinion but I think there's a world of difference between slavery, indentured servants and forced labor and being outcasts and not accepted.
    Of course there is a difference. I was joking.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 07:54 PM
    I am white and a white girl got raped and killed many years ago by a black man that was later convicted for the deed. Now it is many years later, do I deserve an apology from all black men or am I owed money from all of the black men that are alive today.
    I know the answers are going to be no, and that is the same as my answers to the question above. That is why the US does not owe you money or an apology.

Aug 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I am white and a white girl got raped and killed many years ago by a black man that was later convicted for the deed. Now it is many years later, do I deserve an apology from all black men or am I owed money from all of the black men that are alive today.
    I know the answers are going to be no, and that is the same as my answers to the question above. That is why the US does not owe you money or an apology.
    That was quite a leap. Your analogy would had been more applicable if a nation ruled by black men gang raped a whole farm working community of white girls after enslaving them.

Let's keep in mind that an apology would come from government representatives, or in our country's case, the U.S. House of Representatives. On a related note, I'm Jewish, and IHMO the German president years ago was a class act giving a formal apology, although some in the Knesset didn't agree.

German President Apologizes for Holocaust

"Visiting German President Johannes Rau Wednesday apologized for the Holocaust during which six million Jews perished, saying it is important to teach the younger generation about the past.

"I am asking for forgiveness for what Germans have done, for myself and my generation, for the sake of our children and grandchildren, whose future I would like to see alongside the children of Israel, "Rau said while addressing the Israeli Knesset, the parliament.

Rau, a long-time friend of Israel and elected president last May, said he bowed his head in humility before those murdered in the Holocaust during World War II.

He stressed the need to teach the younger generation about the past, and referred to the building of a Holocaust memorial in Berlin, a cornerstone of which was laid last month, as a sign of a sincere attempt by the German people to remember.

Several Knesset members boycotted the speech in protest against the use of German by Rau, saying the language reminded them of the suffering of millions of Jews during the Holocaust.
    "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apology poem! [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good apology poem.This is a guy I only met once who I did something to. I have not spoken to him in awile.I would like to send him a poem.So any suggestions will help.. Thank you

Slavery [ 9 Answers ]

Is slavery wrong?

Apology not accepted [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have this guy that I recently met who became one of my good friends in a short period. He was nice and we got along together... I loved it. But then he told me he liked me and I didn't know how to handle that. You might say "oh, just tell him that you want him as a friend and blah, blah,...

View more questions Search