Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girlygirl08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 07:34 AM
    I look too young
    I'm 17 years old and I'm pregnant I really need to find a job. Its really hard for me because like I said I'm 17 but I look 14 and sound 12. At a lot of interviews I have to show my id or some kind of documentation proving that I am 17. And after all that is done I still don't get hired.. I really need a job to support my baby. I have good work ethic and I'm neat and I never been late to any past jobs. What can I Do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:50 AM
    What types of jobs have you been going for and what are you good at?
    Have you tried for cashier jobs or office jobs?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 1, 2008, 07:50 AM
    How about Waitress? I heard pregnant women get bigger tips.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:56 AM
    You do realize that being pregnant could be more of an issue than how old you look?

I don't know if you are "obviously" pregnant, so can't say for sure, but most employers are not very interested in a fresh hire, about to go on maternity leave or make use of the FMLA within such a short time of being hired.

Where is the man, who helped you get pregnant, and should be supporting you and his baby?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 08:04 AM
    I agree with progunr that they don't want to hire someone who will be taking maternity leave soon. For now, maybe you should look for a job that is advertised as temporary. I don't know where you live, but in most cities craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums is a great place to look for job listings. Good luck!

Aug 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    You do realize that being pregnant could be more of an issue than how old you look?

I don't know if you are "obviously" pregnant, so can't say for sure, but most employers are not very interested in a fresh hire, about to go on maternity leave or make use of the FMLA within such a short time of being hired.

Where is the man, who helped you get pregnant, and should be supporting you and his baby?

Aw he is around we got an apartment and he has a job so he is steping up to the plate so that's not the issue.

Aug 1, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    What types of jobs have you been going for and what are you good at?
    Have you tried for cashier jobs or office jobs?
    I been going for cashier jobs at stores in the mall. I tried an ice cream parlor, but I just found out today they already filled their position. How frustrating... Ughh...
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Although looks are a big part of it, it's how you dress and carry yourself that speak volumes. How do you dress to these interviews? How do you carry yourself? Do you speak eloquently and professionally?

Aug 1, 2008, 05:08 PM
    I usually wear a black dress or some slacks and a button down shirt. I act very friendly and listen very carefuly. I preak really nice I actually speak older than my years. But my voice is very high pitch and chiper I don't know if that's anoying or something. I do talk very southern but I don't use slang. I have tried so hard to get the "southernness" out my voice but its doesn't work.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I have a feeling if you are telling them you are pregnant that could be causing them to not want to hire you but then it wouldn't be advisable or workable to not tell them and then hire you only to find out.
    beanie1816 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I would try a call center job where you will be able to sit down. To look older I would suggest to wear tailored looking items and heels to look taller. As a previous hiring manager I looked for people who were reliable so if you can seem like you will be there for them you might get the position. Just apply everywhere and eventually you will get a position. Good luck. Also, a nice resume and cover letter can be a good seller as well.

Aug 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beanie1816
    I would try a call center job where you will be able to sit down. To look older i would suggest to wear tailored looking items and heels to look taller. As a previous hiring manager I looked for people who were reliable so if you can seem like you will be there for them you might get the position. Just apply everywhere and eventually you will get a position. Good luck. Also, a nice resume and cover letter can be a good seller as well.

What can I do to make it seem like I will be there for them?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 05:41 PM
    That is hard since you are pregnant and haven't had any time in the job to prove yourself.
    They will be thinking maternity leave etc...
    But it is possible just keep trying. My daughter got a part time job at a video rental place when she was 5 months pregnant.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlygirl08
    I'm 17 years old and i'm pregnant i really need to find a job. Its really hard for me beacuse like i said i'm 17 but i look 14 and sound 12. At a lot of interviews i have to show my id or some kind of documentation proving that i am 17. And after all that is done i still don't get hired.. I really need a job to support my baby. I have good work ethic and i'm neat and i never been late to any past jobs. What can i Do?

I hire people all the time and, unfortunately, with insurance costs what they are and the knowledge that maternity leave will be just around the corner I shy away from pregnant women.

I find single mothers to be hard working but the insurance is a killer - workers comp and disability.

I think you have to just keep applying until you find something.

Are you a high school graduate?

Aug 1, 2008, 05:50 PM
    No I'm in my senior year of high school.
    beanie1816 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlygirl08
    What can i do to make it seem like i will be there for them?

They should ask you questions to get you to open up. Common question for instance What do co-workers say about you?

Which then you can high light a few great aspect of yourself I would include reliability. In a non rehearsed way say that you helped your co-workers out by working shifts for them or worked overtime when needed. Stress being on time and early, be early to interview. I would suggest to be 15 minutes early to interview bring cover letter and resume turn off cell phone, make eye contact. Make sure to match the feeling of the interview if it's a laid back interview smile maybe even laugh if appropriate if its more serious make sure to say yes and no clearly and maybe even insert mam, sir, or even their name if they seem like the type who want authority. By the way you sound in your posts you seem upbeat, friendly, and nice those are great qualities for customer service.

Aug 1, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beanie1816
    they should ask you questions to get you to open up. Common question for instance What do co-workers say about you?

which then you can high light a few great aspect of yourself I would include reliability. In a non rehearsed way say that you helped your co-workers out by working shifts for them or worked overtime when needed. Stress being on time and early, be early to interview. I would suggest to be 15 mins early to interview bring cover letter and resume turn off cell phone, make eye contact. Make sure to match the feeling of the interview if it's a laid back interview smile maybe even laugh if appropriate if its more serious make sure to say yes and no clearly and and maybe even insert mam, sir, or even their name if they seem like the type who want authority. By the way you sound in your posts you seem upbeat, friendly, and nice those are great qualities for customer service.

Thanks! I try to stay up beat and positive about life even with my current situation! And I love working with people. I just don't. Maybe it's the economy. I called my mam and was telling her about it and she was saying that I should wait until the end of August when the all the college students that are in town leave. Which I should us this time to make a plan. I don't have to worry about rent,the electric bill or food. My boyfriend has that covered. I just want to start getting this baby stuff. Because I know that can be expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How young is too young when it comes to your virginity? [ 41 Answers ]

This girl who's interested in me recently told me that she lost hers at 14.The legal age here is 16.Im not sure whether to be put off by this because it seems a bit young. She said she's never had sex after that but that's not the point.woulnt care if she's a virgin or not but not sure if I should...

From the young [ 1 Answers ]

Just recentally I have noticed that my breast nipples have been leaking a very small amount of a water like substance. I have never had this happen before and was wondering if anyone could help me.I wasn't sure if it has anything to do with pregnancy because I am still a virgin but I needed to...

Am I too young? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I'm married and I'm 21 years old. But I'm ready to start a family. My career is set. And we make enough money to support childern. It's just I'm so stressed out when we try. And we don't succeed. I feel really depressed and don't know what to do.

I this Too Young [ 4 Answers ]

I'm dating a boy that is 2 yrs. Younger than me and we are both in love. He wants to get married now... is that to young for him... and how do I know that it is real then there is his former friend that I dated before that is now wanting me back I love him dearly what do I do... stay or go...

View more questions Search