Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Desperate30 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 05:31 AM
    End of my rope, stop me before I make a big mistake.
    First time I've ever done this, so be gentle please.

Here's my situation. I'm 29 going on 30. I have been with my fiancé for over 4 years now. I love her dearly. We have a lot in common. We share a lot of the same hobbies and we generally get along great.

I bet you know where this is going, or else I wouldn’t be here.

As much as some aspects of our relationship are perfect, they almost don’t make up for the parts that are really sad and pathetic.

There are TONS of issues and I don’t even know where to start.

I might as well start with the intimacy and I can fill you in on the rest as people answer and ask me questions.

Me and my fiancé haven’t made love in over 9 months now. I feel like the best years of my life are being totally wasted. I sense no desire from her what so ever and every time I mention the problem, she immediately gets defensive and lashes out at me. Saying that she’s trying her hardest to “fix” this problem. In my opinion, after 9 months, she isn’t trying very hard and I’m feeling very undesirable.

I got to say that about 3 weeks ago, we did have a little getaway weekend and we were intimate in a nice romantic bath, but as grateful as I was for the display of affection, I basically just did all of the work and there was no penetration. We kissed, we touched, she turned around and I finished the job myself.

She thinks this was a huge milestone for her, yet has been even more cold since then.

It’s hard to even mention sex because she always responds with the old “When you pressure me it just makes me want to do it less”. Yet she’s the type that if I pretend like everything’s OK, she’ll just totally forget that a relationship is SUPPOSED to have a healthy sex life. And god forbid I’d ever sleep up and say that “I have needs”. She absolutely gets furious when men say that it’s a “need”. She’d be perfectly happy with not having sex for the rest of her life.

Anyway, like I said.. I love her very much and we are getting married next year as well as buying a house together. Should I really go through with it? Should I trust her empty promises that she is trying to fix the problem? I’m starting to think that I’m making the biggest mistake of my life and that I should run, far, far away because I deserve better.

Honestly, I could stand the rest of her faults.. if she would only physically show me that she loves me.

Signed,

Desperate30
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 05:59 AM
    How was sex before this 9 month drought, and what has changed? Is there a date set??

Aug 1, 2008, 06:04 AM
    The date is set. It will be in September of 2009. As for the sex before.. well it was "acceptable" for the first 6 months or so, but after we moved in together, it went downhill.

By acceptable, I mean that we were having sex once a week, or every two weeks on average.

Before the nine month spell, it had been 5 months since we last had sex.

In over 4 years, I doubt we've had sex more than 50 times, probably closer to 40 even. If that.

Basically, she's a prude. With that said... I don't mind a prude. I'm not with someone because I'm looking for kinky sex. If she's the type of girl that just wants missionary and isn't into foreplay, then so be it. I just wish she at least had a desire for boring sex. Lol.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 06:25 AM
    It sounds to me like she has some sort of sexual trauma in her past, frankly.

You need to get the two of you to counseling BEFORE you take the final steps of marriage and a house. You're not communicating on the same level right now, and you NEED to do that for a marriage to work.

Aug 1, 2008, 06:34 AM
    But she's had counseling. Unfortunately she's very good at faking that everything's OK and she doesn't open up to counselors. She was never abused as a child. She says she doesn't like to be "touched there" because a little boy touched her there when she was a kid. She was about 5 and the little boy was around the same age. So it wasn't even a sexual kind of touching, just a little boy who didn't know any better. I highly doubt that this was something so traumatic that it would affect her into adulthood.

I do know that her ex-boyfriend ended cheateing on her for the same reason. I'm not one to cheat, I would never hurt her like that, but I'm seriously contemplating breaking it off. I don't know what else to do.

She hates the fact that counselors just tell her that "we need to bring the romance back".. apparently that's not the problem. She finds me romantic. I give her long massages with oil and candle light. I cook her nice dinners, we go out and celebrate special occasions.

According to her, I could romance her up to her elbows and it still wouldn't give her the desire for sex or anything remotely close to that. We barely kiss, she always stops it before it becomes a make-out session. As soon as that little voice in her head starts shouting "HE WANTS SEX, HE WANTS SEX".. she pulls away. All it takes is for me to kiss her with an ounce of passion or any kind of lustful look in my eye... and she shuts down.

It is very discouraging to experience this. My self-esteem is being shattered every time. I want her so bad, but she doesn't want me.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:14 AM
    You two are definitely sexually incompatible no matter what her excuses are.

As far as using the little boy touching her there at 5 yrs old. I have known people to hold spite grudges for years and they take it out on anybody that fits the bill. Like my mom actually told me that when she was little and my grandmother would sit her in the corner for punishment she would think of how she was going to ''Get HER back'' by punishing her kids (me & my sister) one day. That is the way some people's minds work and most probably they would never see it or even ever admit it to even their own self.

I don't see her changing because it is a set personality pattern to not like being touched. Even if you gave her an ultimatum she might force herself to go along with the program until things settled back to her way.

Any girl would die for a guy that brings them flowers and gives them oil massages and cooks for them. You need to move on if you want a fulfilled romance life because she is buying time with empty promises and even if she does force herself to be intimate to any acceptable level she would be doing it to please you and that is not going to be fulfilling to your needs. You are high level romance and she would just be going through the motions at best. Can you really live with that for the rest of your life??
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Not HER needing counseling.

The two of you together. You're not communicating the same things to each other. You're seeing sex in an entirely different way than she is--and I have to say your way is a lot healthier.

But I'm agreeing here that the two of you are sexually incompatible.

Honestly--if she wants a sexless life, she should marry someone else who doesn't want sex, either.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
    YOU: Gee dear is this a preview of our whole life together??
    HER: Whatever do you mean dear?
    YOU: Me running to the John and spilling my seeds everyday, and messing up the guest towels??
    Her: You pervert, Marriage should be about love, not sex. I can't believe you can't respect my guest towels!!
    YOU: I tell you what, If you can't sign this Prenupt, that says at least once a week, I'm out of here!!

The point being talk now, or regret later. The willingness to work together and solve your issues, starts with communications.
    snowalps Posts: 141, Reputation: 7

Aug 1, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Exactly talaniman. Your last sentence says it all . Let me re-iterate for desperate 30 :
    "The point being talk now, or regret later". Please do that.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:49 AM
    She may be lying about why she doesn't like being touched, or she may not even know why. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. If you can sign on to a life without fulfilling sex, marry her. If not, don't.

Aug 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
    The real problem is not the sex itself. As mentioned. If I could never penetrate her again, that would be fine with me if that was said loud and clear. What frustrates me is that she's not open to any kind of sexual intimacy.

The situations always have to be perfect with her. She needs to build herself up to it. Plan it all out. Like our weekend getaway that I mentioned. She had planned 2 months ahead to "do something".. it took her all that time to syke herself out to be receptive to an intimate encounter. Even if it wasn't full on sex.

She also suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Emetophobia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

The next key element would be her birth control pills. She's been on the same prescription for 14 years without ever taking a break from it. From what we've read, this could be a very big factor to her lebido problem.

The issue now is that she does want to get off the birth control, but only AFTER the wedding. I'm just afraid that it might not work.. then what?

We've started talking about again today, but it just feels like the same old conversation.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    if she does force herself to be intimate to any acceptable level she would be doing it to please you and that is not going to be fulfilling to your needs. You are high level romance and she would just be going through the motions at best.
    I want that even less than a sexless marriage. Sex is supposed to be natural, beautiful, meaningful and welcomed. If one of our hearts isn't into it, it's meaningless. I might as well just go hump a tree.

I just want her to be receptive to my advances sometimes. I want her to stop shutting me out and in the very least.. I want her to enjoy pleasing me. I wish she'd stop treating sex like it was the plague.

You guys, I don't know what to do. I love this woman so much, she's my best friend.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Before you make the wedding plans make sure she gets over this "problem" with intimacy she obviously has. If you get married and she does nothing its only going to bother you more and more until you end up hating her. And trust me you will.

I would never jump into a marriage with major issues such as this looming overhead. I don't and never have expected perfection... that is exceptionally rare. But do seriously step back and objectively review your situation. Make a list of good qualities... and another with the stuff that annoies you. Prioritize those list as to importance. Review it again in a week or two and make any changes you see. This will help you view things objectively before you make a step that may be an expensive mistake.

Every woman isn't wife material just as every man isn't husband material. Make your choice wisely.

Hell intimacy at the very least is the first thing you should be able to count on if she really loves you. Without that you are just room mates.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
    After reading all of the posts, the two of you need to do group counseling so that the result of having sex will be tha gauge if everything is OK or not.
    So before marriage a lot of counseling, or know what is ahead.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:06 AM
    No matter what her problems or her excuses I only see it going round and round and never getting any where but where it is here and now. It very well could be a medical type problem but it is now an ingrained set pattern with her that even getting her system straightened out it sounds like it would still be the same old same old.
    You say she is okay with special pre-planned romance so instead of pampering her regularly set all the special nice things aside for a once a week special moment. Like Friday or Saturday night date night have a flower or a card and some candles and cook a special dinner and give her the massage and whatever else you can think of that would make the evening special and see if that helps.
    It sounds like part of her problem is you pamper her and she takes you for granted. You need to find a way to break the cycle and get her to realize she needs to contribute to the affection department.
    If you do not find a way to break through I highly doubt you can look forward to even a happily ever after of as much as even cuddling w/ no sex.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:11 AM
    That's another thing. Anytime I do something romantic, she tenses up and puts up her defenses because she knows I'll "want something in return". And I really don't make it plainly obvious. Sure, I always hope that something physical comes out of such an evening or event.. but I never truly expect it.

And you're right, that's my other issue... I really do pamper her too much in my opinion. I make dinner 5 nights out of 7. I prepare her work lunches and breakfasts every morning. I do most of the cleaning, laundry, handy work and yard work. I repair our own cars. I take care of her dog (which I really resent, because I hate dogs... but that's a whole other issue).

I'm basically p-whipped.. without getting the P. I love doing things for her, but all the satisfaction is gone once it turns into a daily chore.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Thanks for all of the advice so far. I really need to be more firm with our communication.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
    And don't settle for less that what you deserve. She gets over it somehow or move on.

I have personal experience with a girl exactly like her. Took me a year to finally decide what I should have done. And finally walking away from her was the best choice I ever made.

You should not have to fight for intimacy... ever. If you do there is something fundementally and may I say fatally wrong in the relationship.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:23 AM
    You are too ideal. You sound like you could have ANY woman you want. With all that you do I don't understand what she could possibly be doing for you in return. Sounds like she has a free ride and so what does she have to complain about except for the fact that you want a physical relationship and she doesn't.
    What does she DO to show she cares? Does she ever demonstrate in any way her LOVE for you or tell you what it is about YOU that attracts her TO YOU?

I am thinking something here but I want to know because I just do not see what she actually feels for you.
    You state everything about your side of the relationship all giving and all she is is the recipient.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You are too ideal. You sound like you could have ANY woman you want. With all that you do I don't understand what she could possibly be doing for you in return. Sounds like she has a free ride and so what does she have to complain about except for the fact that you want a physical relationship and she doesn't.
    What does she DO to show she cares? Does she ever demonstrate in any way her LOVE for you or tell you what it is about YOU that attracts her TO YOU?

I am thinking something here but I want to know because I just do not see what she actually feels for you.
    You state everything about your side of the relationship all giving and all she is is the recipient.
    What I get from her is loyalty. Lol. I don't know.. there's one thing that I get from her is that I know that she would stick by my side no matter what. I've been married before and have been in my fair share of relationships after that.. and it's something I have never felt from someone until now.

Through thick and thin, she'll be there. We have the same "big picture" goals. We want the same things.

One thing she always does, without complaint... and this may sound really weird and might gross some of you out.. but she "picks at me" almost every night before bed.

She checks my back and my face for blemishes or unsightly blackheads and takes care of them.

I know... it's odd as hell, but I enjoy it. It's honestly the closest thing to intimacy I get on a regular basis.

Other than that, I love snuggling her. She never objects to cuddling in bed and we both sleep naked. She'll cuddle me too which is really nice. But that usually leads to trouble cause I'll get excited and then an argument breaks out if I try to press the issue. She's just so damn sexy.. it hurts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I make a mistake? [ 13 Answers ]

FLASHBACK: About half a year ago, I liked this guy ("the guy") and my friend ("the girl") offered to help me shoo all the girls away from him for me and she ended up shooing me as well. I felt betrayed by her. I eventually told him I liked him but he rejected me. He said he apologizes if he did...

Did I make a mistake? [ 3 Answers ]

My and my ex went out for about a year, he lived with me for 8 months... we broke up a about a month ago. And now wer talking again. Buht he has a girlfriend. On Saturday we had sex 3 times and he said that soon him and I will get back togeather... should I have had sex with him?

Did I make a mistake? [ 5 Answers ]

I called this guy who I really want to be with and told him I needed to talk to him first before making a decision. I told him that I thought everybody deserves a second chance and I am sorry for breaking up with him. Then, I asked if he was done with me. He never calls me. I always call him...

DId I make a mistake? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Well I don't know how to start this My parents have been married for almost 25 years. They have had there ups and downs in there marrige. My mother lives in Manitoba with her business while my dad has his in Alberta. Although they are still married. My dad has had a history of being...

Did I make a mistake? [ 2 Answers ]

I used CPVC glue (otey gold) to glue a pvc trap together. Do I have to cut out and re-build the trap with PVC glue?

View more questions Search