Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pond Properties Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Landlords rights on keeping deposits
    As a landlord letting a property through an agent, once the deposit has been paid by the tenant to the agent, can we as landlords ask the agent for the deposit back and hold it ourselves? As we have experienced difficulty in getting our deposits back?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Properties
    As a landlord letting a property through an agent, once the deposit has been paid by the tenant to the agent, can we as landlords ask the agent for the deposit back and hold it ourselves? as we have experienced difficulty in getting our deposits back?
    Do you have a contract with the agent/manager? I would think it's certainly something that could be written into your contract with them.

Now remember, in some states there are pretty strict requirements regarding what landlords do with deposits they are holding. Some require them to be held in an "escrow" account, or other dedicated account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlords will be my roommates [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to rent a room in a house owned by two siblings . They also lived there so they will be my rommmates. I think I have the right to ask them permission to run a background check on them .They seems very nice and clean but I do not know anything about them. A criminal background check will...

Is it the landlords responsibility [ 3 Answers ]

This past June my husband and I signed a lease in the lease it was stated that all major appliances were in working order. Being that it was June my husband and I *wrote in that the furnace was not checked* we signed the lease, as did the landlord. NOW THE FURANCE DOES NOT WORK. Landlord was...

Security deposits/pet deposits - Texas tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This involves a lease that went month to month and verbal agreements. During tenants stay, they broke several personal items (sculptures, fountain) on the property and brought in a second dog. In the written lease, there is nothing abuot pets. I gave them erbal permission to have one...

Landlords and tenants [ 4 Answers ]

If there is two Tenant and the spouse drops his/her part of the lease agreement before the lease is up can the landlord evict the first/other Tenant? Or will the other Tenant have to be able to prove they can pay the rent and utilities?

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

View more questions Search