Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugarrush Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 10:07 PM
    17 dating 24 (Canada)
    I wanted to know if it was legal for a 17 year old girl to date a 24 year old woman. I've read about the age of consent being 16 but I find it confusing (ex. What does it even mean, is kissing actually considered illegal if you're underage dating someone older) and I'm not sure if it's different with homosexuals.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Here is the Canadian law except the age is raised to 16

Canada's Legal Age of Consent to Sexual Activity (PRB99-3E)
    sugarrush Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
    I know, I've read that page over three times already, but I still don't really understand what it entails. I just want it laid out in black and white for me in my particular situation.

Yes or no, and why? (thanks for the input though)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:02 AM
    From what I understand age of sexual consent in Canada is 16 and after that you can have sex with anyone legally. After 14 you can have sex with someone up to five years older but after 16 you can have any age.
    As far as homosexuals I do believe they follow the same laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2008, 09:05 AM
    There is no law dealing with legal limits to dating. The laws only cover sexual activity between two parties. Since the age of consent for Canada is 16 a 17 yr old can date, have sex, whatever.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarrush
    i know, i've read that page over three times already, but i still don't really understand what it entails. i just want it laid out in black and white for me in my particular situation.

yes or no, and why? (thanks for the input though)

The intro to the law states: "Canada has a long history of prohibiting sexual intercourse with young females, regardless of their consent" and continues to address sexual intercourse only.

If you are concerned ask the local Gay Rights Organization.

And I will ask you the same question I would ask a heterosexual couple - what does a 24 year old see in a 17 year old.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Hmmmm, I think that all people follow the same rules, homo or hetro. I would please think hard about your actions, even if it is legal it doesn't make it necessarily okay for you. I say this only out of experience. I had a relationship with an older man when I was 17, him being 24. We were together for 12 years and he influenced me heavily good and bad. All experiences can be different for everyone. Soul search, be sure you are secure in your choices. Young adulthood is a great time of exploration and discovery. Enjoy it. Be you and be true to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

Canada law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question here and I was wondering if you can explain why this Is true. Thanks. Pete buys a power lawn mower from Mower Co. not to cut lawns, but to Race it in the Mower Races. Pete tells the salesman this, and the Salesman assures him that it is the fastest lawnmower in town. But...

Canada-NWT Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Ontario resident. I spent 4 months in NWT last year for work and spent approx $3 thousand in rent and airfare. What form should I claim that on? Many thanks. Gary

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search