Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llamb Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jul 31, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Is renters insurance necessary?
    Moving out into an apartment for the first time. Do I need renters insurance?
    And where should I look for it? How much is reasonable? How much is reasonable?
    Is there a certain kind of renters insurance I should get?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 09:44 PM
    YES, get it! Definitely. I have it, and I convinced all my renting friend's to get it. A day after my friend Ashley got it, her upstairs neighbor flooded their apartment which flooded her apartment. They replaced her TV and laptop.

Go to your car insurance place. Grouping insurances saves money too! I have car insurance, renter's insurance, and pet insurance through my place, and pay $52 a month for it all. Don't pay more than $20 a month for it.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:47 PM
    I suggest that you do. Renter's insurance for an apartment is usually about $10 - 15 a month. If anything happens... fire, flood, robbery, any damage, your things are covered. I think $15 a month is worth it.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Definitely get it. It's not too expensive and covers you for fire, flood, theft, etc... You can get it from any insurance company.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Okay, perfect, yes that sounds like a good idea now that I know a little bit about. Thanks for all the help!
    This website is amazing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Do you understand what insurance is? Insurance is protection against loss. Basically, the insurance company is gambling that you won't have a claim while you are protecting yourself if you do.

Do you need ANY insurance? When the answer to that is simply what will happen if you incur a loss. Can you afford to replace your belongings in case of a burglary, fire, water damage, etc? Or can you afford to pay someone else's medical bills if they get injured while visiting? If so, then you don't need insurance. But if you can't, then you need it.

Aug 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Wow, sir, just a friendly question on renters insurance because I wasn't sure what exactly it protects... the apartment damage? Personal objects damage?
    There could be different kinds...

I understand what insurance is, I was just looking for details on a kind of insurance I've never had to have before.

... thaaaaaaaanks.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:46 AM
    If your parents own a home I would speak to their homeowner's insurance agent first. My mother is in a senior apartment complex and her insurance is $75 per year for 40k worth of coverage. She got a discount because we get our auto and homeowners from him. Compare prices - shop around and get the best deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters Right [ 6 Answers ]

I live in upstate NY - near Albany. I rent a house with my wife and three kids. I was served a copy of notice of foreclosure against my landlord on this property (no payments since July 07). What are my rights? Am I going to be kicked on the street during the winter now? My lease expired in...

Renters law? [ 4 Answers ]

So I tried to search for it myself and couldn't really find nothing more than the locks, doors windows little things like that. I was just wondering in short if there are certain specifications for a house for it to be rented to another family. Basically for rent by owner? The story in short:...

Are we renters? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister-in-law owns the house we live in. We pay all taxes and insurance on the house as well as all normal maintence costs. We are responsible for keeping up the place. On long term expenses, we pay 50% - example, for reroofing we paid 1/2 of the cost of $3000. The question arose as to our...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

View more questions Search