Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harshmodi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 02:17 AM
    F1 -> H1B, resident/dual-status contradiction
    Hi All. This is my first time in this forum.
    Though I have read a lot of the threads, this question is still controversial.

I am on the same boat as a lot of the others. I was on OPT from June 27 to Sep 30, and on H1B from Oct 1 to Dec 31. However, there is a contradiction with the Sticky Note.

http://www.thetaxguy.com/residency.htm
    This is Dr. Carter's page.

On this page, if you go to the dual status alien section, you will find this as an example of Dual Status Alien.

When you hold a J, F, M or Q visa during part of the year, but later change to an H visa or other status eligible to use the substantial presence test, and pass the test

This contradicts how the sticky note quotes Dr. Carter. I am very curious to answer the following questions:

(1) I paid school tuition in 2005. I want to take a deduction or an education credit for that. I earned less than 53k (or whatever) in 2005.
    (2) Standard deduction.

It seems I can't get (1) unless I file as a resident alien, and I can't get (2) unless I file as a resident or non-resident alien. Is there any special provision for Indians in this situation (which I'm sure applies to a lot of people on the forum).

Comments/Suggestions welcome, especially from Atlanta Tax Expert in case I have missed some intricacy.
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 07:10 AM
    That is a contradiction, one I will address to Dr Carter after the end of the tax season. We are both too busy to address it now.

If you file dual-status (it IS still an option, but it is normally an unnecessary paperwork exercise when you can legally file either as a resident aliien under First Year Choice or as a non-resident alien if you do not qualify for the Substantial Presence Test), you can still claim the standard deduction under the U.S.-India Tax Treaty.

The ONLY way to claim the deduction/credit for tuition is to file as a resident alien.
    meharpsingh Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
    When would be the correct time to file as a resident alien under the present conditions the only difference being my H 1 started in 6 Nov 05.

Mehar
    harshmodi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 08:03 PM
    File after you have spent (183 - 1/3*(number of days as H1 in 2005 since 6 Nov 2005)) in 2006, assuming that you have been present in the US on all days after 6 Nov 05.

Apr 12, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply... Are you sure about this... I mean I am not doubting your answer but I was of the view that it will be 183 days from the day I moved onto H 1. What is the amount of time (how many days?) I will get after applying for an extension. Also does anybody know that can I file my State Taxes even before I file my federal Taxes or will I have to hold onto the State Taxes as well.

Mehar
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Mehar:

Harshmodi is correct. IRS Pub 519 clearly specifies that the previous year's (in this case 2005) days are decremented to onely one-third of the actual days spent on H-1B status.

Apr 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Hello ATE and Harsh

Please try to answer this question ASAP. Can I send my state return now(before 17th Apr) or will I have to wait (till I send Federal) for that as well. I have to attach a copy of my Federal Return with the State Return.

Thank you very much

Mehar
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 10:24 PM
    You can file your state taxes immediately. The states do not care about your visa status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident/nonresident/dual-status? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi again! I posted a question a few days ago and you were very helpful. I am a little confused as to what my status is. 2003 - F1 - 202 days 2004 - F1/OPT - 305 days 2005 - 293 days: >> F1/OPT until Jun 30 - 176 days >> stayed after visa expired for 1 month - then left...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

Status as resident / non - resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Need some advise on the taxes - I had moved to NY in November 2005 with my wife. We had a baby in December 2005. I need to know my status as to whether I would need to file my return as Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien. Also I want to know that since I received my SSN in January...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I dual resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my history in US: 1998 as J1 student 118 days 1999 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 87 days 2000 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 68 days 2003 as B1 visitor 8 days 2003 as F1 student 152 days 2004 as F1 student 349 days 2005 as F1 student 271 days 2005 as H1B Employee 92 days

View more questions Search