Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sam_Felgen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 04:29 PM
    What About Shakespeare In The School Curriculum?
    Shakespeare can be described in many ways. Some people love him while there are others who think he is boring.

For grade 10 English we are looking at Shakespeare. The question that has arisen in class is

"Is Shakespeare still revellent in the 21st century?"

If you were taught about Shakespeare at school, Did you enjoy it? And do you think it was worth while?

There are a lot of advantages like: shakespeare's plots and lines are still used in movies
    Its about history

But some disadvantages are that: People don't enjoy Shakespeare
    Some don't understand
    The meaning of words can change

What are your opinions on this subject?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
    One of the best classes you can ever take, One class was the comparison between Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story

The love, the hate, the betrayal, it is the story of life itself
    Sam_Felgen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Also, Do you think it should be optional whether you want to learn about it or not instead of being forced to learn about it if you don't want to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Some times one has to drag people into learning what is great. If not they will never receive any culture
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 04:56 PM
    The only thing a person can be forced to do is die. The rest is pretty much a choice. Anything, including the writings of Shakespeare, can be boring or fascinating. You get to choose how to feel about it.

Shakespeare was brilliant. If you look for things that he wrote, things that you might quote, sentences here and there, there are some pretty amazing ideas. Yes, he wrote a long time ago. The fact that what he said still makes so much sense today is why it's in the curriculum.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Maybe look at it from an investigative or conspiracy stance. There are some who believe Shakespeare didn't even write much of what is attributed to him. Another angle would be to take apart what has been written and see for yourself if it is relevant. Are any of the feelings, situations, etc. still found today and in what capacity?
    Your instructor can play a large role in how entertaining Shakespeare can be presented.
    mosag330 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 30, 2008, 11:47 AM

I am currently working towards teaching high school Shakespeare when I am through with college. This was my first experience with Shakespeare outside of Hamlet in my junior year in high school. The way my professor started the class on the first day-- he went around the room and asked us what was the first thing we thought of when someone says "Shakespeare". We had a list ranging from Sonnets to Romeo and Juliet to Heath Ledger.

The point he made was: Everyone knows something about Shakespeare, even without having taken a Shakespeare course before. Everyone acknowledges Romeo and Juliet as the classic tale of star-crossed lovers. Everyone recognizes Hamlet's "to be or not to be" speech.

Shakespeare is a very important part of our culture today, yesterday, and tomorrow. There are hundreds of words we use frequently in our vocabulary that Shakespeare invented. His stories, as old as they are, are still contemporary.

References to Shakespeare are made every day. There are dozens of movies made about his plays. Ten Things I Hate About You? She's All That? The Lion King?

Nobody believes me, but trust me-- the more Shakespeare you read/watch/listen to, the easier it is to understand his vernacular. After reading three plays so far this semester, Sparknotes went in the garbage.

If the course isn't interesting to the students, then it has to do with how it's presented. I can't imagine how Shakespeare can be boring if it's taught properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start of the national curriculum [ 1 Answers ]

Wat year did the national curriculum come into effect?

Any idea for a 2 week ESL summer camp curriculum for Junior High Schoolers in Korea? [ 0 Answers ]

I have to come up with a 2 week summer camp curriculum for a ESL class. Each day will consists of a 4 hr. period. I would appreciate if you could give me an idea of what I should teach for each day for 4 hr. during this 2 week schedule. This is all indoor class activities only.

View more questions Search