Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chilipepper5353 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Main support beam in house
    My floor has a 1"crown due to old cinderblock support under main beam in basement. I've set 2 new jacks in place (rated) for 15,000 lbseach, and want to knock out cinderblocks, hoping to correct crown in livingroom floor so I can install laminate . I have one jack on either side of the cinderblock column. Is it safe for me to knock out old support now that the new ones are in place? It's kind of scarey
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 01:15 PM
    I am not an expert but I have replaced joists using jacks.
    Does your plan meet buildng codes?
    If yes:
    First, you need good bearing pads for the jacks to sit on. They must be plumb.
    Raise the jacks until there is clearance (daylight) above the old blocks.
    If the jacks hold to your satisfaction, remove the blocks.
    If there is a probem, you should be able to lower backs onto blocks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell below house on pier and beam foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I rented out a small one bedroom to a tenant from hell. There was a sewer pipe burst and she did not inform us until after two weeks. Sewer water was all under the house and in the yard. We evicted the tenant, and the water has now dried up, but there is still an awful smell coming from under the...

Covering up support beam in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

We have a window in our kitchen that looks into the den, and it seems like the previous owner When installing the window had a support beam put in just above the top of the window. This is where the problem lies, the support beam is very poorly blended with the rest of the wall and seams to...

Garage Support pole/beam [ 2 Answers ]

We currently have a support pole in the middle of our garage which quite often gets in the way. We were wondering if there is a way to replace this pole with a cross beam or something to provide support to the ceiling above and allow for the removal of this pole.

Correct method to attach floor support beam to pole [ 5 Answers ]

I'm building a cabin and have a peir/pole foundation. The floor is going to be supported by double 2"x12" bolted to the poles across a 10' span. The floor joists are going to sit on top of this beam. My question is what is the correct way to attach the double 2x12's... should I nail the 2x12's...

View more questions Search