Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 31, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Install a Hard Drive - Install Error
    HELP!

I have a Compaq Presario 5333cl desktop with an Seagate 80GB HD (IDE). Running Windows XP SP2.

Am using Casper XP 3.0 cloning software, (which worked perfectly on my Dell).

Installed WD 320GB HD in disk #2 position. Both drives set to cable select. (Casper works within Windows, so cable select worked fine in my Dell with same config).

At power up, Compaq stops at a DOS screen telling me "error 304 keyboard or system unit error. Check my keyboard, etc." Also said press F1 to save changes. On this DOS screen, it seems to recognize both drives and lists them below the error message.

Checked all cables... good.

Changed jumpers on drives to master and slave. Get same error screen.

Disconnect new drive, and PC works normally.

My Compaq is about 6 years old, but a friend checked and said it can handle a hard drive up to 320GB. I have BIOS ver 1.05.

I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Any suggestions? Could the HD be exceeding the BIOS capacity (friend info wrong)?

Thank you...
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc
    ...so cable select worked fine in my Dell with same config).
    Doing the same thing in a second computer without regard to the hardware specifics of the second computer because it worked correctly in a first computer is a dubious strategy given the rapid rate of technical change in the industry.

Also note cable select requires specific cables. This cable select discussion addresses some of the pitfalls.

a friend checked and said it can handle a hard drive up to 320GB.
    Have your friend get it working.

Any suggestions?
    • Contact Compaq to confirm drive capacity support for your BIOS revision or connect progressively smaller drives to find capacity limit. There is very little technical info for this computer model on Compaq's web site.
    • If drive has a capacity limitation jumper/alternate jumper configuration, set it and see if it allows boot. If so you have a BIOS issue. Do not leave jumper set and use Windows. WDC has slew of knowledge base articles on dealing with drive support and capacity issues.
    • Use WDC's Data Lifeguard Tools to install drive overlay software to support capacity. Personally, I don't recommend this, but it is cheaper than,
    • Purchase an add-in controller card / BIOS upgrade.

Jul 31, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Does this error sound like a drive size capacity issue?

Unfortunately, my new 320GB drive doesn't seem to allow a limit on size. Ironically, my 80GB can limit to 32GB.

I have no other drives to try.

You made several excellent suggestions. Given I can't test a smaller drive, what would you recommend I do first?

Thanks Again Scleros.
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Does this error sound like a drive size capacity issue?... what would you recommend I do first?
    Yes, in that removing the drive makes the problem go away. The keyboard error is a bit odd, typically the computer locks up or drive isn't recognized. Does the POST screen show the capacity of the drive and is it correct? Verify drive - stick it in your other system on a cable by itself and run a WDC diagnostic on it and confirm it's good.

Jul 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Yes the post screen shows the correct capacity of each drive.

When you say test the drive in the other PC on it's own cable, do you mean an IDE cable directly to the motherboard?

Sorry, I don't know what a WDC diagnostic is.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but the 320GB drive is brand new.

Thanks...

Jul 31, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I have what I believe will be some very telling information.

I tried the 250GB drive that I just installed in my Dell, AND another 80GB drive (identical to the one in my Compaq (the PC in question) that I pulled out of the same model PC with a bad motherboard, and I know the drive is good).

All the drives are causing the same post screen and keyboard error, so I assume this cannot be a drive size capacity issue.

Even though I am getting a keyboard error, all the drives are correctly recognized, and there is a blue prompt at the bottom of the screen that says "press F1 to save changes".

Is it possible that the PC is just waiting for me to confirm that I have added a new drive (by pressing F1)?

I don't want to screw up any settings that will prevent the PC from operating if this doesn't work.

Your thoughts?
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Yes the post screen shows the correct capacity of each drive.
    Um, did you select F1 to save settings change? Is the boot just pausing for confirmation of new drive that was detected or is it hanging the computer and you cannot progress even after pressing F1? If hanging, recheck jumper settings. Also verify BIOS settings for drive are correct/set to auto/channel speed isn't set to 133, etc.

When you say test the drive in the other PC on it's own cable, do you mean an IDE cable directly to the motherboard?
    Yes, without another slave drive or any other device connected to same cable. You may need to liberate the second IDE motherboard connector for testing by unhooking the CD-Drive if it is on that channel for example.

Sorry, I don't know what a WDC diagnostic is.
    Western Digital Corporation, the manufacturer of your hard drive, offers in the download area of the Support section of their web site, Data Lifeguard Diagnostic software for your drive model.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but the 320GB drive is brand new.
    Humor me. No point in spending six hours trying everything imaginable to get an unlikely-to-be-defective drive to work only to find out it was, in fact, bad. If drive works in your other system, you've eliminated three possible sources of error - the drive, the drive's jumper setting, and its cable. You can then focus on getting it to work in its intended system as a single drive, and then as a slave.
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Yes, you beat me to it, press F1.

Jul 31, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Will try it. Thank you!

Jul 31, 2008, 04:59 PM
    One more thing. Will pressing F1 prevent me from operating with original drive again in case there is a problem?

Just so I know for the future, must I always go through this "Post Screen - Press F1 to save changes" when I install or remove a drive (or other component)?
    Hardware Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Yes, when the BIOS configuration data changes due to addition or removal of a device, you get the F1 prompt as an opportunity to confirm the changes and enter the BIOS and make any setting adjustments.

F1 won't affect the original drive directly per se other than the BIOS will now be looking for two drives instead of one. Why don't you hook up the new drive all by itself as master/single, enter the BIOS and confirm the drive's settings, run a diagnostic, and make sure everything seems to be working properly, and then add the old drive back in the final permanent configuration you want. I normally run a 24 to 48 hour exerciser on new drives to try to force a failure before loading them with data. It sucks to spend a day or better moving data around, installing software, and getting everything situated on a new drive only to have it go kaput a week or month later.

Jul 31, 2008, 09:04 PM
    SUCCESS!

The keyboard error was due to the USB keyboard being plugged into a USB hub, so it was not recognized during boot up. After connecting the keyboard directly to the PC, the error message disappeared.

Pressing "F1 to save changes" from post screen, allowed Windows to boot normally.

Was then able to clone to the 320GB drive without incident.

All is well.

Thanks very much for all the help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orange Box Pc "STEAM" can't install error 1327 invalid drive E:\ [ 2 Answers ]

Just a weeks ago I played this Team Fortress 2 with the hard drive of a friend that he connected in my PC :) then some weeks later I decided buying the game "orange box" when I tried to install the game it appeared a error message that says "Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\" HOW DO I FIX THAT? ...

How to install the hard drive in short time with same spicificatiion of the computer [ 1 Answers ]

What is the DOS command, with the command ghost. Please help me because I have many computer here I want to made this in short of time to install.

Install Xp on a 2nd Hard drive for another computer! [ 3 Answers ]

Well basical I brought this laptop for cheap which works but has no key board and the screen is cracked. (a bad combination I have just found out.) Well the guy that sold it to wiped the hard drive before he gave it to me and now I can't insatll xp on it firstly because I can't use my usb...

Want to install a separate hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

I just removed a hard drive from my computer (XP Home). I have loads of music and video on it (trashed the computer). I'd like to install the HD on my other computer (XP Home) for only the files and music (no online or email) and wish to boot either one at will. Is this possible? Thanks for...

Install Windows on Separate Hard Drive? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding an external hard drive to my system for extra storage. I'm unfamiliar with adding additional storage so this is a pretty basic question: do I need to install my copy of Windows on the new hard drive in order to get it to operate? Or can I save, retrieve, etc from the new drive with...

View more questions Search