Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sergentbagle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 07:38 PM
    How do I get the deep cuts out of a computer desk?
    I scratched my grandfathers computer desk, and he's really mad about it. How do I get rid of the deep scratches without buying a new desk? Please! Help Me!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 07:41 PM
    What is it made of?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Yes, we do need and would appreciate some additional information here.

But, below might be some possible scenarios...

If it's made of wood, then you could try wood fillers that are supposed to be the same color of the wood that it is. You could then sand lightly over the fills, after they have thoroughly dried, in the direction of the grain of the wood with 180 or 220 or 240 grit abrasive (sand) paper and then find a stain that matches that which is already on the desk and purchase some small artist bushes to apply the stains to the fills, or dab the stain on with clean rags or a high quality paper towel, such as Bounty.

If the scratches are all over the surface area, then you could do the fill thing and apply the stain with what I have already mentioned over the whole surface area and then spray the whole area with a light solids content lacquer such as Deft and then rub it out in the direction of the grain with #0000 steel wool and some paste wax. And, then buff that out with clean cloths, also moving in the direction of the grain.

If it's just some minor scratches in the finish of the wood, and the finish is a natural one where there isn't any stain, then all you might need to do would be what I call a "rejuvenation" finish by sanding it out lightly with the same grits of abrasive paper in the same type and manner as I have already mentioned; apply the same type of lacquer as already mentioned and just simply rub it out, also in the same manner as I have already mentioned.

It could be that it might be some minor scratches in the upper layer of the finish that you might just be able to rub out using the same grade of steel wool that I have already mentioned with some sort of lubricant, such as water or paint thinner. If so, then I would try water first and then the paint thinner, since the later has more "cutting" potential on the finish.

Now, if it's a computer desk that is made of painted metal, then you might need to use a palm sander over then entire surface area beyond that which is damaged but still on the same plane, and spray paint on that is the same color as the rest of the desk.

Please provide more information, since I am only giving you some possible scenarios here.

I do want to point our also to you, that refinishing or touch-ups of either painted or metal surfaces on furniture is an art that might be better left to the hands of it being done by a professional who is well-versed in that art.

Thanks!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Could you post a pic of the scratch?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 05:15 AM
    If it is a man made material I would think you could use a liquid type polymer or acrylic that will harden when it sets. You can get that at an arts and crafts store like Michaels or JoAnns.

You may have to paint the desk because it may not look that good whatever you fill it with,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 04:43 AM
    For any type of touch-ups, either to clear finishes or to painted surfaces, I would strongly advise not using those that are water-based of any kind because they won't bind or adhere to the existing finish. For simple touch-ups, on a large or small surface, a low-solids spray lacquer is the way to go. An acrylic is something that you might use on a craft type product - they are not meant for heavy use.

A polymer is something that is way to thick to use for a touch-up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deep Deep Depths [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the approximate depth of the deepest point in the ocean? Any ocean, the deepest one obviously hahaha Thanks

Help desk [ 5 Answers ]

I need to now where I can find any kind of information on help desk such as where can I joun magazines and learn more about the help desk industry and how companies run their help desks??

1992 civic cuts out while driving and starts after a little while then cuts out [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 1992 civic and recently it just started cutting out while driving. The first day I was ready to get onto the freeway and it just cut out. It started again after a while and was okay getting home. It ran a little rough but made it home. The next day it was fine on the way to work but coming...

Help Desk [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have an interview this coming Friday for the position of Help Desk, just wondering what questions do you think will be asked by the interviewer.. Thanks

Help desk [ 3 Answers ]

Identify sources of technical support information that can serve as the essential information tool for ICT system support desk?

View more questions Search