Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brend55 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Why TV went straight line?
    Have a Sanyo TV in bedroom been working great then it went straight line but has sound. A thin line of colored light straight across the middle of the screen. After a while it went full picture. Few days later it did it again and then again and then it stayed in the line. I played around with it and the remote and finally the menu came up and after going through it back and forth the TV said it was an antenna connection. So I played around with the antenna cable and the picture came on and was on for about a week, then went straight line but I can't get it to work again. This TV was hooked to a spliter that had a set of rabbit ears and a coax coming from another spliter that has a line going to a computer (don't ever use it) and a line to the dish receiver and one to the TV in the living room. I got a new coax that says it is good for HD TV but was told it can be used on the earlier TV's also, connected it to the BR TV and took out the first splitter and the other end is connected to the splitter at the LR TV. But it is still straight line and no picture, and still has sound. Is it something wrong with the TV or in the connections? You can see movement in the line and color changing. Thanks for any info you can give me.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 10:59 AM
    It sounds to me like you have a vertical deflection problem. Basically, the entire picture is squashed down to a single line on the screen. There is not much a normal person can do, but if you can take the TV outside and get a can of compressed air, I would blow through the vent holes and try to get the dust out of it (there will be dust). There are lethal voltages inside a TV, so I would not take the cover off to do a more thorough job.

This dusting is recommended under the theory that dust is causing a high-voltage short to the vertical circuitry. It sometimes comes back to full screen because the dust gets "blown up" by the high voltage and the short disappears.

This may not work, but you really have nothing to lose (as long as you don't stick your hand inside the TV).

Good Luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion in a Straight Line [ 1 Answers ]

A british Concorde (BC) and a French Concorde (FC) flew in opposite directions around the world, a distance of 40 000 km. The BC covered half of its flight distance at a supersonice speed of 2500 km/h and the other half at a subsonic speed of 1000 km/h. The FC spent half of its flight time at 2500...

Straight-line Method [ 2 Answers ]

This entry applies to a company for the month of December,2005. One item of equipment( injector) was purchased and put into service in early January 2004. It is being depreciated with the straight-line method using these facts and estimates: Original Cost: $18,000 Expected salvage Value:...

View more questions Search