Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arvilee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
    24 v thermostat wiring/power from furnace
    Still working on my a/c issues--

Sat a/c stopped working following a storm.

Opened a/c contact was burned. Replaced contact. Reassembled. No a/c

No power in thermostat lines. Manually push in contact on a/c and it runs fine.

Started looking for the problem in the thermostat lines. Changed batteries in digital honeywell thermostat. No help. Yes it was turned on and the cool was set at 65 outside temp over 80. Turned off then on several times just to be sure.

Looked all through the inside and outside of the furnace for a fuse. No car type fuses. No Fuses in wire lines. No fuses in clips. No fuses on the external furnace shut off switch. Yes it was on.

Switched out thermostats to a mechanical one. No change. Took off the thermostat and twisted the wires together (red/yellow). No change.

Took out and inspected the furnace circuit board- no signs of burned transistors or broken components. Good solders. Clean board.

No power at thermostat wires on board.

Power converter/transformer to 24 volt looked nasty. Replaced it. No change.

Bought a voltage testor.

NO power in the thermostat lines at the A/C. No power in the thermostat lines at the thermostat. No power in the thermostat lines on the furnace circuit board.

110 going into the furnace pcb board. 110 at the connections to the new converter/transformer. Nothing measuring coming out of the old or new converter/transformer.

Could the new unit be bad? If not what next?

Very irritating. Please help
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
    It is possible you got a bad transformer. I would hook the transformer directly to 120 volts and see if it produces 24 volts out. This way you eliminate all the furnace wiring for this test. That will tell you for sure if the transformer is bad.

IF you got a 120/240 volt universal transformer as the replacement make sure you are tapping the correct wires for 120 vbolt use.
    arvilee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 07:43 PM
    The correct wires are?

In side --my choices white/black - pair I used -- 2 not used orange and red
    Black is off to one side and the white/red/orange all come out of the same opening.

Out side is blue and yellow
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 08:17 PM
    It should be written somewhere, on the box it came in or on the transformer itself which wires to use for 110V or which to use for 220V
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Usually white and black are for 120 volt input usage but I would always check the transformer label like wmproop said.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:23 AM
    wmproop:

We're trying to educate those in the US that 110/220 V is dead. It's now 240/120. Pass it on.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:53 AM
    :) :) :),, OK,I`m from the old school,is hard for an old dog to learn new tricks:) I just have to try harder

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a furnace thermostat to manually operate the furnace fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have two wires connected to my furnace thermostat. There is a place labeled G on the thermostat. Can I simply run a wire from the G terminal on my thermostat to the terminal labeled G on my furnace fan relay to operate the fan separately?

Wiring a Humidfier To A Furnace Thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3rd party humidifier that I want controlled by my Ritetemp 8085C digital thermostat. However, I'm not sure how to wire it up. The humidifier just needs a simple open/close circuit switch for control. My thermostat provides this functionality. I don't want to rip out drywall to...

Wiring thermostat to furnace [ 17 Answers ]

I am putting in a new furnace and thermostat. The connections on the furnace are C G R W1 W2. The connections for the thermostat are B O Y G W RC RH. There is a jumper wire on RC and RH. The thermostat instructions say to run the hot wire to RH and the neutral wires to W and G. I am using 3...

Add AC to old gas furnace thermostat wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am adding AC to an older furnace and I can't figure out how to wire the 24V Thermostat wires. I only see three places to hook wires in, labeled: TH, TH-TR, TR. Each terminal has two places to hook in wires. Right now, it is wired for heat and works perfectly with two wires coming from the...

Wiring power transformer to furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lennox furnace & I am trying to replace my transformer. On my old transformer one side has a black wire coming out connecting to a black wire coming out of the furnace. On the same side there is a white wire connecting to a yellow wire on furnace. On the other side there is a red wire...

View more questions Search